How to restore the bike

it_guy

Retro Newbie
Is there any good "how to restore" sources that you can recommend?

Google results are varied, can't seem to find a good guide on this.

Recently got myself an old steel frame, not sure what brand/model and it has rusted pretty badly. Looking forward to start off a new hobby in restoring it!

make sure the rust is surface only, if it's structural get a different frame. beyond that it's cosmetics and components. Probably best to get an era for the frame; get components from the same era just to make life simple.

I'm doing three bikes at present, all steel frames, its annoying if you do not know the manufacturer, 1st step take load of photos with your camera / phone, then strip it carefully down, look for a manufacturer's details / frame number, could be in many places, once you found those & with the original photos you took then you can post photos & see what luck people have of recognizing it, the components on the bike find out what manufacturer & model they are, they all help in pointing you in the right direction, measure seat post size & BB size, again these all help identification.

Re:

Here are some photos.

https://goo.gl/photos/UTKa2yZvCamNQXCt5

Now upon closer inspection, it looks really horrible, the rust.

I read that using coca cola, it will work to remove the rust with a wire brush / steel wool. Going to try that out.

Also, before I start doing that, I will use normal degreaser to clean up that BB and headset area.

I don't believe the frame looks that bad, I could be wrong.

I believe there are a number of alternative solutions per this often asked question;

Caution with these first two, it's probably like using lye soap.

1. Oxalic Acide: http://www.bonnymans.co.uk/products/pro ... uctID=6324 I've heard people say bathe the frame in this. Your frame appears very accessible.

2. Naval Jelly: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Henkel-Sealants ... aval+jelly

3. Boiled Linseed Oil, this one sounds like the more "natural" and safer alternative; in sprays such as T-9, I believe this is the most ecological and I believe linseed oil is found in a lot of products used as frame-savers. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Boiled-Linseed- ... d+oil+rust T-9 at least proposes to stop rust in its tracks.

At the least, these are some alternatives, some people just hit rust with WD-40.

Agree with CyclingTheLakes - looks o.k. Just one area for concern is the hole on the chainstay (anyone know what it's for BTW?) is that the corrosion may be on the inside and limited access means you can't see the condition. I'd go at the whole frame with a wire brush in the first instance but I think that's more than salvageable.

For the chrome forks I'd try '0000' grade wire wool dipped in oil. Rust on chrome usually spreads out over the surface from a pin hole in the chrome, so it can look a lot worse than what it is. Even you finger nail can be used to remove some of the surface rust.

Unfortunately, I'd say the frame is a bit far gone but not because of the rust. The cut out in the chainstay looks as if someone has been trying to make clearance for a triple chainring, that hole would compromise the strength of the frame, and also, it looks like someone has hammered over the mudguard eyes on the rear drop outs which may also have caused some damage. A good frame should ring like a bell if you tap it with something, if it doesn't there may well be some structural issues and not worth restoring.

Normally, for a frame I'd have it shot blasted, it should only cost £10-£15 so an easy save on time and materials over trying to do it yourself.

Robbied196":uzj2d9nq said:
(SNIP)Unfortunately, I'd say the frame is a bit far gone but not because of the rust. The cut out in the chainstay looks as if someone has been trying to make clearance for a triple chainring, that hole would compromise the strength of the frame, and also, it looks like someone has hammered over the mudguard eyes on the rear drop outs which may also have caused some damage. A good frame should ring like a bell if you tap it with something, if it doesn't there may well be some structural issues and not worth restoring.(SNIP)

I agree 100% with Robbied196 on this. Your about to start a very rewarding project and for a first restoration starting with a solid foundation (frame) will put you miles ahead as far as peace of mind in your finished project and money spent in attaining the goals set for your vision of the bike.

: Mike

Sorry to say that your frame is, from what I can see from the pics, not worth restoring.

With deep pitting, a cutout in the chain stay, cut off mudguard eyes, no obvious signs of quality, and not even a maker's name, you would be well advised to get shot of it and find something more deserving to restore.

If you still want to go ahead, you will need to get a patch brazed over the hole in the chain stay and have the frame sand or bead blasted, which might then reveal pinholes in the pitted tubing.

If you do go ahead, good luck to you, but unless the frame has some sentimental value or is craftsman built, and from the pics it isn't, I wouldn't waste time and money on it, and I say that as someone who is no stranger to restoring what others may perceive as lost causes!

Back