Raleigh Royal - Info required please

MartinB123

Senior Retro Guru
Hello all,

I've see this for sale online with no info - can anyone shed any light on the Raleigh Royal and what year/spec this could be?

Pic below:

Thanks,

Martin

Very classy audax / light touring bike. A pal of mine had one, although later than yours. Nice.
those levers look wrong - flat bar levers fitted to drops. :facepalm:

Re:

Another thing I'm thinking of is the crank - would it have been a triple from standard? This one looks like a double..

last one i had was a double about 1985 ish , 531 main frame from memorey later ones had canti's

Re:

The one in the photo looks to be from the ‘80s. I have a 1990 Royal with Shimano cantis and triple chainset, seven speed with indexed downtube levers. The frame is 531 ST. I think the earlier ones had double chainsets but I guess that they could be upgraded to a triple. They are excellent bikes, comfortable yet fairly nimble. I use mine as a light tourer/audax/winter trainer and if I didn’t have one already, I’d buy one! Or perhaps a Randoneur.

Re:

Not sure how nimble a 29 1/2 lb tourer can be, but seems it was a good seller for a number of years. The 1984 version looks about right...

ral84_11.jpg

ral84_12.jpg

The first numeral of the serial number is the year of manufacture (e.g. '4' for 1984)

Wasn't the Royle the Raleigh follow through of the Carlton Corsair?

Then it morphed later on into a more hardcore Tourer.

Shaun

Back