Carlton Criterium 1972

ibbz

Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Karma King
Dyna-Tech Fan
Feedback
View
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Midlife":2ec28opj said:
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=110238

The bike is in the catalogue section, towards the top of the Carlton stable in the he early 70's with the usual Carlton love of chrome :)

Shaun
Thanks for that Shaun.
I like it, and if the paint work wasn't so mashed up I'd have bought it but may bid and see. It'd be nice to strip and build to original spec like others have here.
What the frame made of? And decent as far as mass produced bikes go?

Frame will likely be Carlton's own Tru-Well tubing. even though it's not 531 the frame would have been put together nicely with good shore lines to the lugs. Sort of mid way between mass produced and bespoke. Carlton knew how to build bikes that rode well and made frames with nice geometry, I doubt anybody riding it could tell it apart from a 531 frame. Carlton Chrome was generally very good, the reps said there was copper plate under the chrome as well as nickel to give a good finish.

Not sure its worth 130 quid though......

Shaun

Re:

It has some interesting and pretty lugs.
I'm looking at this too as its my size I'm 5'7 and have short legs.

What's it worth ?

Re:

The seller says there is some 'play' in the bottom bracket.
I guess these are cottered cranks - let's say such a BB is removed - what threading does it have ? Could it be replaced with a cotter less square Bb? Or are cottered replacements available ?

It's a standard 68mm BB so yes its easily swapped. BITD we used Sugino Maxy as the standard swap to square taper cotterless which is a lot easier than messing about with cotterpins, having said that I'm sticking with cottered cranks on my similar era Carlton Cobra.

It's worth is difficult to assess as it depends on how much you want it. I'm hopeless, if I want something then I simply buy it, indeed I have bought stuff off here which was being sold cheap so I paid the seller more than they were asking.

Shaun

Thanks very much for that - has cleared a lot up and now I know who to turn to for advice hehe!!

I want it but reluctant to spend more than £80 for it seeing as I will most likely change everything . I bid up to that but reserve not met - I reckon his reserve is probably at about £100 - I may bite the bullet and raise it.

It'd be great if I could find such a frame only and take my time with it - cleaning buffing and treating frame before selecting parts.

Lovely catalogue you linked and ive got to admit the bikes from this period are beautiful - proper English built and lovely timeless design - a huge change from Chinese aero formed oversized aluminium eye sores and the higher end lightweight plastic 'carbon' space age things.

Midlife":25kds34z said:
It's a standard 68mm BB so yes its easily swapped. BITD we used Sugino Maxy as the standard swap to square taper cotterless which is a lot easier than messing about with cotterpins, having said that I'm sticking with cottered cranks on my similar era Carlton Cobra.

It's worth is difficult to assess as it depends on how much you want it. I'm hopeless, if I want something then I simply buy it, indeed I have bought stuff off here which was being sold cheap so I paid the seller more than they were asking.

Shaun

Our resident Carlton aficionado is "Spokessman" and I guess he will be along soon :)

I worked in a bike shop in the 70's, we were Raleigh 5 star dealers so sold a lot of Carlton's. Nice bikes and were easy to sell as they were up a step from the Raleigh equivalent. We also stocked Falcon bikes which were also an alternative to the main Raleigh lines. Dropping down we stocked Puch for those who thought Raleigh was expensive.

I've got 3 Carltons in bits 70''s Flyer track and Cobra plus a 1982 Professional.

80 quid is below reserve.....maybe he will sell at that if there are no more offers?

Shaun

Midlife":39mi1c3m said:
Our resident Carlton aficionado is "Spokessman" and I guess he will be along soon :)

I worked in a bike shop in the 70's, we were Raleigh 5 star dealers so sold a lot of Carlton's. Nice bikes and were easy to sell as they were up a step from the Raleigh equivalent. We also stocked Falcon bikes which were also an alternative to the main Raleigh lines. Dropping down we stocked Puch for those who thought Raleigh was expensive.

I've got 3 Carltons in bits 70''s Flyer track and Cobra plus a 1982 Professional.

80 quid is below reserve.....maybe he will sell at that if there are no more offers?

Shaun
Thanks Shaun, that's interesting to know, I was born in '73 so would be nice to bag a frame from then (but this one in question is a '72)
I've only ever had 1 Racer and that was a 2nd hand Raleigh Europa my dad bought me back in I think 1984 or something - since then it's been MTB's.
But now I want one road bike/racer - to make up myself as period correct as can be in this case naturally and a nice one with some history at that, with fancy lugs and some chrome in a small size.

Are these frames heavy? How are they like to ride?

I don't want to spend too much as it's not as if I'm going to be displaying anything (my own pleasure mostly) so Hetchins is out of the question (but being a Spurs fan it'd be great to bag one of these Tottenham made frames - perhaps one day) and have connection with Walthamstow and remember the shop down Orford Road so a H R Morris when I win the lottery. A Mercian or a Raleigh SBDU/SPD would be something - if I find a bargain.
Anyway, that's why I've had my eye on such a Carlton as this.
How does the condition look to you?

Back