Campag derailleur advice

sheggers

Old School Hero
I'm looking for a late 80s/early 90s rear derailleur for a build (a CBT Italia mentioned elsewhere on this forum viewtopic.php?f=12&t=328429). I'm going to fit it with a mix of chorus, record and croce d'aune from the period and I'm going for eight cogs on the rear.

Quick question - will the derailleur below work on a 8 speed or is it 7 speed only as per the listing? I'm probably going with period ergo shifters which I picked up here at the weekend from another forum user.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Campagnolo-Cr ... 3aaea94d86

I'm new to this business so welcome advice on derailleurs generally and anything I need to consider when picking one!

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
HI,

I also have my eye on the same and was hoping to seek it under the radar!

I assume you are intending on friction shifting and yes it should work fine but will need the screw adjustment altering and tuning to selected the range. The chain shouldn't be a problem assuming you have sized it (width ways) correctly. You do not mention your rear spacing but I would assume this is fine to prevent chain rub.

Hope this helps.

Re:

good questions I've not thought about! No, was thinking of going for synchro shifting - presume this means I need a particular type of derailleur? Rear spacing is 130mm.

Front derailleur for indexed shifting of only a double is doable with a friction type front, a triple is more difficult.

Rear derailleur as you posted for an indexed is possible but such a pain in the rectum you would be best buying an indexed rear arranged for near on the number of sprockets you have or propose to have. i.e a 7 shifter derailleur can be made to work with a 8 speed sprocket however if you can match up indexed gears to sprockets it means far less tweaking and possible annoyances .

sounds like I'm best sticking to an 8 speed derailleur - that one on ebay is all yours (or is this part of your cunning plan to remove the competition ;-)

Back