Interesting press race photo from 'Cycling', 1950....

LikeClockwork

Gold Trader
Kona Fan
Feedback
View
Soz for quality of pics, haven't a scanner so had to photograph the photo!

Found this amongst some old books I was going through, held flat in the pages, not entirely sure where I got it from but must be years ago... Unfortunately can't make out the place names on the sign post. Stamped on back with a pencil date of 1950.

Great shot of the Bates at the front with the diadrant forks, and interesting how there are no makers names on the bikes by the looks of it, presumably this shot shows perfectly how using something like the diadrant forks meant your brand was distinctive!

Anyway, any ideas anybody, location or who any of the riders are....?

Attachments

• Interesting cycle race photo! 005.JPG
    Interesting cycle race photo! 005.JPG
    24.7 KB · Views: 701
  • Interesting cycle race photo! 004.JPG
    Interesting cycle race photo! 004.JPG
    90.6 KB · Views: 701
  • Interesting cycle race photo! 003.JPG
    Interesting cycle race photo! 003.JPG
    90.3 KB · Views: 701
  • Interesting cycle race photo! 002.JPG
    Interesting cycle race photo! 002.JPG
    71.4 KB · Views: 701
  • Interesting cycle race photo! 001.JPG
    Interesting cycle race photo! 001.JPG
    108.4 KB · Views: 701
Re:

Cycling (mag) were rather anti open road racing, so must have been a big event. Normal limit in BLRC events was 40 but here looks like 60. Perhaps Brighton to Glasgow. It does not look like an NCU event.

The tall man in the foreground with the Paris Roubaix Campagnolo gear looks a bit like Ian Steel.

Can you send me your best resolution of the signpost and I will have a look at it.

I have a high res flat bed scanner which might pick up the signpost, but I would need the original for that.

Keith

Re:

Brilliant info, thanks Keith! I love the way there are so many spectators, lots of young people, no safety barriers in sight....

Interesting about Cycling's attitude to open racing too, didn't know that. Used to be really into by veteran racing bikes and had a fair few copies of Cycling dating from the 2nd World War era, really interesting reading, and I should never have got rid of them.

The original is very poor too, the signpost really doesn't show up any better than in these pics. I think perhaps it's lost some resolution over the years or maybe it wasn't a first class photograph in the first place. Happy to get the original to you if you think there's any way you could get something from it....

I rode my first senior road race in 1951, BLRC Western Section.
I think you did well with your Camera, but if you would like to send the original, PM me for the address. I have Photoshop and the Canon high res scanner, with poor software which does not run in W7.

The NCU were really backward, but worried about the legals, as racing on public roads was seriously illegal, thus the RTTC time trials were early morning with riders dressed in black so as to be inconspicuous. NCU did track and closed circuit road races but were responsible for international selections.

Keith

Re:

I remember seeing riders dressed in black on early morning rides in the photos in the mags I had...great stuff! My Dad raced with Bourneville CC, must have been the late 50's? Just trying to remember how old he is now! He had some great pics and old race certificates, and other bits and bobs, must get him to dig them out again.

Thanks for the offer, will drop you a PM next week sometime for the address, busy with work and then away the weekend with no internet access, but should be quieter next week hopefully.

Midlife":2dpdft7x said:
Brilliant :). Love the tubs in a figure of eight over the shoulders.

Shaun

That's always amused me too, imagine how they must have made you sweat, and no wicking breathable fancy gear back then either! :LOL:

They were real men....

Re:

Great picture!!! Proper water bottles too. I hope you can find out where it was taken, LikeClockwork.

Latest posts

Back