What to build next?

NeilM

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
With my 1978 Dave Lloyd clubmans bike finished, and no other road bike projects in the pipeline, I am rather at a loss when it comes to tinker toys.

I have got a bit of a taste for the 1970's, and, excluding anything Raleigh, I was considering something Tour de France-ish or at least from the competition scene around that time, possibly Gitane Super Corsa.

So, your thoughts, suggestions or favourites please.

Eddy Merckx Molteni, Freddy Maertens Flandria, Roger devlaeminck Gios come to mind

I'm in the same boat, sitting looking at a nuovo record group that desperately needs a early/mid 70s frame to call home.

I reckon you should go back a couple more decades. Something from the 1950's will be a nice challenge and give you a different experience from the stuff you already have. And that's what it's all about. Vive la difference. ;)

clangers19.jpg

brhistory_0714.jpg

koblet-hugo-1950.jpg

firedfromthecircus":2n06t0ij said:
I reckon you should go back a couple more decades. Something from the 1950's will be a nice challenge and give you a different experience from the stuff you already have. And that's what it's all about. Vive la difference. ;)
GAWD! It's been hard enough getting to know what I am doing with stuff from the late 1970's, as bicycles were something I had no more need of back then.

Something from the 1950's would be a REAL challenge... that said, I am watching a stunning resto prospect from the late 60's at present.

So, if I were to look late 50's (around when I was born), what do I look for?

Something where both wheels are the same size... not the other type of that era - extremely small rear wheel and mahoosive front! :D :D

NeilM":13sw3dar said:
firedfromthecircus":13sw3dar said:
GAWD! It's been hard enough getting to know what I am doing with stuff from the late 1970's, as bicycles were something I had no more need of back then.

Something from the 1950's would be a REAL challenge... that said, I am watching a stunning resto prospect from the late 60's at present.

That's part of the fun though isn't it? Researching, finding things out, learning etc. And if you were born in the '50's then even better. Something older than you.
I have no idea what to go for but look at the big riders of the time, Bobet, Gaul, Coppi, Koblet etc and see what they rode. Take it from there.

Back