Raleigh Road Ace - Retro?

dwscrimshaw

Retro Guru
Just finished putting this together, had quick ride up and down road to check it out. Should get out on it properly tonight I hope.

Started with 89 Road Ace frame and added more modern bits that were intended to be in keeping with original. Is it still a Road Ace?, not sure so didn't put those stickers on.

Attachments

• DSCF3544.JPG
    DSCF3544.JPG
    102.1 KB · Views: 830
  • DSCF3546.JPG
    DSCF3546.JPG
    102.7 KB · Views: 830
  • DSCF3420.JPG
    DSCF3420.JPG
    65.9 KB · Views: 830
  • DSCF3422.JPG
    DSCF3422.JPG
    59.5 KB · Views: 830
  • DSCF3552.JPG
    DSCF3552.JPG
    61.9 KB · Views: 830
Well if the paintwork is of original colour choice and you've tried to keep the components as close to original as you can then i'd say yes go and put those decals on that gorgeous looking frame as it it's a shame not to complete such a handsome looking machine and you've done a top job by the way mate ;) :cool: .

Early 600 chainset is rather nice.

Claris rear mech is a bit, well, Claris. I think some Campagnolo mechs will index with Shimano shifters so you could pretty it further. Or just ride it and ignore tits like me

I'd leave it as is and just see how you feel about parts when you've ridden it a few 100 miles or so but tbh on looks alone i'd be happy to put a fair few miles on it and only change parts as they wear out unless i happen to see something that i couldn't resist having that is ;) ..

dwscrimshaw":3lo6qidk said:
Yes that was the plan upgrade as things wear, just want to ride it for now.

Way to go mate and if it rides at least half as good as it looks you'll not want to get off it ;) ..

Back