What have I got? Raleigh International

Hi all. Just purchased a Copper coloured Raleigh international.
Serial # wp4005836

Want to get it back to largely original so want to know what should be on it. What year etc

Non original parts -
-Wheels - currently a pair of newer low flange 600s with a 7sp hypeglide cluster.
-Seat post
-Campagnolo front dérailleur but newer design
- one of the centre pull calipers both weinmann but have odd labels red back 610/999 front black 610 (assuming it's the front)
Seat post binding bolt

On the seat post - what is it meant to be? Fluted ? Twin bolts on top? What is the correct diameter?

On the wheels - want to get original era record hubs but for practicality will use current clincher rims so I have more tyre choice. Will lace with double butted ss spokes.

Any suggestions on spoke and rim brand - (want them to look close to period if possible)

The spacing between rear dropouts is 125mm approx. am assuming this has been widened to accomodate newer wheels.

Opinions wanted here. Should I get the distance reduced to 120 and go std spacing 5 or narrow spacing 6, or leave it and go std spacing 6 speed cluster and get appropriate width rear hub?

Cluster - nos or are there manufacturers still making these?

Are the original record hubs meant to be 36 f&b?
What are the threads meant to be? English or Italian?

More questions and pics to follow, many thanks Matthew Ling

Re:

The 4 in the s/n is for 1974. From the brochure:

05International.jpg

23TechSpecs.jpg

mattsccm":3qgxx1ve said:
I have seen a few bikes with different numbered Weinmann brakes front and rear from new.

Surely the number on the Weinmann brake cantilevers is just the drop length in mm? - if the distance is not the same front/back (due to how the frame/forks are built) then the numbers won't match...

Hi thanks for the replies. Will have a look at the brakes and measure them to compare. Thanks for the advice. The bike is missing a few bits here and there with some non original parts for eg it has odd non original central brake anchor bolt / cable holders (one's steel the other dia compe) and a dia compe qr front cable hanger attached to the head set.

Any advice on rust removal / treatment on the chrome?
Was going to use rust removal acid from the hardware store and then a quick spray with chrome look paint to seal it.

Cheers and thanks again, Matthew

If it's anything still approaching the one shown in the brochure then you've got a very nice bike. Only one down from the Professional. Any photos?

Re:

Hi Ned thanks for your interest.

Can only wish it looks like the brochure!

The reality is it's in fair condition and mostly original but it was the right size frame so I took the opportunity.

Over the last few weeks have been dismantling and cleaning to see what's needed so everything's in plastic containers in the bungalow.

The major bits are the wheels to bring it back to original and a Nuovo record seat pillar. Unfortunately the pillar that was in it is too small in circumference 26.8 & I need a 27.2

Any floating around in good condition?

Other bits so far:
Pedal dust cap
Pair of crank dust caps
Seat pillar binder bolt - luckily had this one
BB Cup lock ring
Brake hoods (and a few other brake bits that are missing)
Brake cables
Gear cables
Pedal bearings
Headset bearings
BB bearings
Brake shoes
Jockey wheels
Bar tape

Will keep the existing wheels on it for a while, and have a brooks swift so that will go on.

The frame I was going to leave but decided it's just too scratched and will get it sprayed when decals arrive from Velocal.

Here's some pics before I started going crazy, hope they work.

http://s1172.photobucket.com/user/mling ... sort=3&o=0

Cheers, Matthew

Back