I need help identifying a frame, if possible please!!

patty1976

Dirt Disciple
Hi, need help identifying a road frame if possible. All I have is the stamp on the forks of TANGE.OH, and a stamp under bottom bracket of MOG46144. I will try and get some photos on. Any help much appreciated , thanks

Attachments

• _IMG_000000_000000.jpg
    _IMG_000000_000000.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 707
  • _IMG_000000_000000.jpg
    _IMG_000000_000000.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 707
  • _IMG_000000_000000.jpg
    _IMG_000000_000000.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 708
  • _IMG_000000_000000.jpg
    _IMG_000000_000000.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 708
  • _IMG_000000_000000.jpg
    _IMG_000000_000000.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 704
Yes, some pictures would be really helpful. Nice close-ups of the seat cluster, bottom bracket shell, rear drop-outs and fork crown, as well as a side view of the whole frame would be nice.

Based solely on the information above I would guess Japanese or Taiwanese. Is the second digit in the serial number an O (letter) or a 0 (number)? If the latter, the number format fits Fuji and possibly some other makers as well.

Hi, got some photos up, hope they can help, not sure if the frame is anything decent or not, just been clearing out and there was some frames there I have identified but can't find anything that matches this, serial numbers etc . Lugwork doesn't look really fancy either. Thanks

Thanks for the pictures. Not quite the eighties Japanese or Taiwanese bike I expected to see. I have no idea what this is. Is that a mounting for a light I see on the right side of the fork?

I do like it. Looks like it could make a nice vintage touring machine.

Re:

Hi, Thanks for the help in trying. It is a round light mounting on the forks. I am clearing out a load of my dad's old frames from the house. Are you interested in buying it like?

I did some mulling on this frame today (not that I've nothing better to do, mind you) and suddenly remembered I have these two in my attic:

Grotefoto-WPPFEC8F.jpg

Their bottom bracket shells look like this:

Grotefoto-JWWN7W3Y.jpg

Look familiar?

These frames were made by Miki, of Sakai, Japan. I did some checking and the seat cluster, fork curve and rear drop-outs of your frame closely resemble those of a Union Sakai, a low-end offering from the Dutch Union brand, with frames that were made by Miki.

Miki is known to have supplied frames to many bike manufacturers all over the world, quite possibly also to one or more British manufacturers. The light mount braze-on does lead me to think it was made to British specifications.

If so, I think it was made in 1980, between the 24th of March 24 and the 5th of April. A good quality low-end frame.

So, combined with the fact that there are no decals on your frame, and it looks to have been repainted at some point in time, its current market value is limited.

If I came across this frame set at a swap meet for say €30 I'd probably be tempted, as it looks to be close to my (62cm) size, and I'd be curious as to its history, and see if I could make it into a nice British style three-speed club tourer. However, as I'm in Holland, shipping costs will probably prove to be prohibitive.

Hi , the frame is 63cm, and I don't know how my dad actually ended up with this frame, as I have sold a few vintage frames including a Flying Scot, chrome Carlton flyer track frame and a holdsworth amongst others. U can actually see orange under the paintwork and fork steerer tube if this has any bearing of the frames you are talking about . Thanks again

I was told this is a Ken bird

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 611
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 610
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    213.6 KB · Views: 610
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 610
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 610
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 610
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    173.8 KB · Views: 610
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 611
patty1976":2jkroytf said:
(...) U can actually see orange under the paintwork and fork steerer tube if this has any bearing of the frames you are talking about . (...)

If you Google the web for pictures of "Union Sakai" you'll see that it actually might be the case ...

Back