Problem with touring bike set up

Alison

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
My son who is 5' 10" went to Evan's cycles to ask about what touring frame size he should have, they said 21" so that is what I bought, I finished the project and he test rode it yesterday all brill apart from when his left foot is pointing forward on the pedals he cannot steer sharp right as the wheel and mudguard hit his foot same the other way. I have fitted it with a 175mm crank arm length chainset, but even if it was 165mm length I think he would still have the same problem.

Is this a common problem? Is it the geometry of the frame? it's a Raleigh Royal, or the size of the frame? I think any bigger would be too big to be honest, but would a 22" frame be better?

Alison

Toe overlap is very very common. I have it on all bikes bar one or two. I've always had it.

It's never ever caused an issue.

Tho 21" for 5'10" sounds a little small......

And the difference between 21 and 22 is unlikely to fix the issue. Unless the geometry is radically different.

Is this a 531 Raleigh Royal? Mine overlaps too but wouldnt it if it didn't have a mudguard. If the bike works for your son in all other respects I'd say he just needs to learn to ride around it.

omegastrada":2zf39u3r said:
Is this a 531 Raleigh Royal? Mine overlaps too but wouldnt it if it didn't have a mudguard. If the bike works for your son in all other respects I'd say he just needs to learn to ride around it.

No it's a 708 Royal

Thanks guys, he's beginning to accept his fate, but all in all he finds it comfortable.

Alison

Back