Hubs for screw on freewheels question .

bagpuss

rBotM Winner
Is the depth of thread on a hub for a 5 speed freewheel the same as a hub made for a 6/7 speed freewheel ? ie can you use a 7 speed screw fw on a old hub made for a 5 speed freewheel .

I can't remember any differences from my era, the Suntour freewheels were more compact and used a thinner chain (ultra) but the hubs were the same.

Shaun

I have used a Maillard (Sachs) 6-speed block on two different 5-speed hubs (both Campag) and as the Maillard 6 blocks were about the same width as a Regina 5-speed, both would fit a 120mm rear dropout spacing. Using a 7-speed Maillard hub on a 5-speed hub would require a longer spindle and quick release and packing washers, and a 126mm rear dropout spacing (or cold setting a 120mm frame). If using an existing 5-speed wheel, the wheel will need re-dishing.

Yes, the hub shells are the same. It's the axle length and/or spacers on the axle that differ for 5, 6 and 7-speed.
Beware though that there are three different types of freewheel threads; English, Italian and (the rarer) French threading. English and Italian are often considered interchangeable, but French isn't. For more information see: http://sheldonbrown.com/freewheels.html#threading

Latest posts

Back