Laz - needs a Front Derailleur for Mecacycle.

Lazarus

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hi everyone - first of all, for those that know the name, this isn't actually Laz. I messaged Tel a few months back to let him know that sadly my husband Tony (Laz to you lot) had passed away in August. I don't know if Tel told anyone but if not and you knew him then I'm sorry to bring you this news. I have been having a little read and see he was well liked on here :) I also had to smile at the thread about my bike that he built for me and how I went from a complete 'don't know a headset from a BB' to 'no, you're not putting that crap on my bike' lol. I was one of those (apparently rare) understanding wives .... :LOL:

Anyway - getting back to the point - We have a turbo mecacycle - it is a full Mavic apart from one hub and the front derailleur. I'm not sure if he has a hub in his big box of bike bits but I know he had trouble getting the front mech. Do I need a Mavic 862 ? or is it a completely different one for the meca? Although he taught me well, I am still a bit clueless but at least I know what it is I want and where it goes on the bike ;)

I know the bike is quite rare and I have no intention of selling, our son has inherited it and I'd just like to see it finished completely. I have my Faggin and I also have Tony's Faggin. I may be selling off whatever is in his 'bits box', I know there are crank sets, handlebars, brakes, levers, saddles and a lot of other stuff. There is also a Raleigh frame that he resprayed, sold, then had to refund as the buyer then decided he didn't like the colour :roll: oh and there is also a child's road bike.

Tony (Laz) absolutely loved this place - I know from when he was on here but I only read a few things back then, I have sat today and read quite a few more and it was nice ... I hope someone can help or if not, point me in the right direction or even tell me there's no chance of getting one, just so I can save myself hours and hours of PC time !

Thanks in advance - Karen

Re:

Hi Karen

So nice to see you on here.

No I did not make an announcement of Tonys untimely demise unsure of whether each person he was close to had been informed and that it was a sensitive subject that you'd rather keep low key. In hind sight I regret not making the announcement myself....

Anyway as you know I was extremely fond of Tony despite never having met him and was sincerely saddened by the news. Still am.

I maybe able to help you with the mech and the hub. I will PM you.

Re: Mavic Front Derailleur for Mecacycle.

Thank you Tel, I've just replied to it.

As for the announcement, I was unsure of who it was Tony spoke to regularly - I only knew of you :) but hopefully a few will see the message above. He really did love this place :) I must admit, even as a 'bike newb' it can be addictive ... I may well carry on where he left off (just reading and learning though, he was the one with the knowledge) ;)

Re:

Hi
Sorry about your husband but he should be proud if you have taken on his love for bikes and technical knowledge :idea:

that's pretty rare among wives :LOL:

About your front mech
Quite often the mecacycle front mech is not the usual Mavic one even for brazed hanger

here you'll find some pics of some turbos - often there was a special part needed to attach a Jubile Huret ( sorry the forum post is in french)

http://veloretrocourse.proboards.com/thread/62

what would help would be pics of the frame

The hub would be easier - again show some pics of the other mavic hub so that a lmatching pair could be done

and finally , a "beyond the channel" mecacycle fan is definitely a good man or girl ;)

I didn't get to know Laz but I always enjoyed reading his posts. Its always easy to spot a fellow bike addict and he seemed to have a knack of capturing what we love about 'retro', and always with a dose of humour. Good to see you here Karen, I'm glad you've caught the bug, one rebuild always leads to another :)

Thanks both for the welcome - and yes, it was only through Tony that I also came to appreciate these classic bikes :) I may not be as addicted to them as he was but I'm sure that will come in time lol.

I will post some photos tomorrow of the split post and what is actually on there now - I could also do with trying to get to his boxes of bike bits and seeing exactly what he has in there but at the moment they are buried under a mound of stuff.

I do feel a bit weird being here but I did used to read stuff with him and he'd show me bike upon bike upon bike and I am genuinely interested, it'll be a huge learning curve for me but at least it'll keep me out of mischief (and stop me decorating !!) :D

Back