Bottom bracket thread help Raleigh BSA

TSP

Old School Hero
Hi all...

I wonder if anyone can help.

The Mrs has got a Raleigh built BSA with a completely seized RHS bottom bracket cup. No big dramas, it isn't knackered.

The drama is, the RHS has a manky thread and needs re cutting. I've tried to screw the cup back in but it just goes in crossed so I daren't force it.

Is it possible to cut just one side? Any tool I've ever seen cuts the thread from both sides at the same time.

The bike isn't worth an awful lot but it has huge sentimental value so I hope it's do able.

Thanks all!

If this is one of the Carlton built frames it would have the Raleigh bottom bracket 26 threads per inch and the chain side bracket cup is left hand thread. If you have removed it then it is not seized. It may be that someone has put in a standard 24 thread per inch cup. Can you get some detailed close up sharp pictures of the cups and bottom bracket area so the we can have a look.

Keith

Re:

A good indication of the threads in the bottom bracket is the with of the bracket, if its 68mm then its Standard british threads 24 tpi, if its 71mm its Raleigh threads 26 tpi

Latest posts

Back