Campagnolo Record Hubs ID

Matt_wood55

Senior Retro Guru
I have a set of hubs similar to these in the link, but with hollow QR levers, built with Mavic Open 4CD rims.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Campagnolo-Re ... 27ec3e8150

The question I have is how can I tell if mine are Titanium or not? I can't weigh them obviously. and the ones for sale on Ebay don't have any mention of Titanium on them. I think they are 1998.

Thanks
Matt

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
daccordimark":l68k2eaq said:
I think "titanium" ones had it inscribed on the freehub.

Mark.
I would have thought the same Mark, but most I can never see anything in the Ebay pics. Maybe they are just trying to sell them as Ti when they are just aluminium??

Cheers
Matt

Now I'm back on the home PC I've looked in the Campag spares PDFs and it looks as if I'm wrong.
Are your hubs identical apart from the QRs? That style of hub came out in 1999 and looks to have no titanium parts at all. Most of the parts are the same as Chorus. The cassettes were available in titanium though. BTW the QRs in that listing aren't Record - they were always hollow like yours.
The 1998 version did have the axle, drive-side locknut (with grub screw) and one non drive-side washer in titanium from what I can make out.

I'm guessing a magnet might help discover if any of your parts are titanium.

Mark.

Yes, your research is correct, these came out in 99 and sadly despite the 'Titanium' name there was no part of the hub that was made of titanium. The titanium end washer/cover you saw is actually made of black plastic, but despite this, these are often considered the best hub Campagnolo ever made. The Chorus version looked the same but didn't have the grease/oil port cover (strip around the middle) & I suspect they had the usual Chorus bearing surfaces rather than the 'pressed in' steel surfaces found on the Record. Campagnolo must have made a few differences to account for the massive hike in price over the Chorus version. I think the seller of the above hubs has been fishing around in his parts box for skewers, sadly many Campagnolo sellers do this.

agentorange":u8xlc9gg said:
The titanium end washer/cover you saw is actually made of black plastic

Thanks for the confirmation. The titanium parts I was talking about were on the 1998 version like the FH-RE020T below.

15146825398_e5940b7cf6_s.jpg

Plastic has no place in top end stuff surely!

Mark.

I think I give up with the Ti / not Ti conundrum!!

These are mine, they are on a bike my Dad left me. They have done less than 3000 miles and they are the best hubs I have ever owned, no doubt. You cannot feel a thing when the wheels are removed and spun when held. Awesone.

I am considering upgrading to Campagnolo Bullets at Christmas, but I bet the hubs aren't a match.

Thanks for all the replies.
Matt

Attachments

• Front 1.jpg
    Front 1.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 486
  • Front 2.jpg
    Front 2.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 486
  • Rear 1.jpg
    Rear 1.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 486
Once again, the Retrobike archive comes to the rescue.
The 1999 catalogue is on here and it has a complete write up of the new design of Record hubs like yours.
There is in fact a tiny bit of titanium - the pawl carrier ring on the freehub - but that's it. Interestingly Campag don't refer to the hubs as "Record Titanium" at all so it is misleading of that seller on eBay to do so unless they changed after 1999.

As for the Bullets I have no experience of them but they look quite heavy at 1755g for the 50mm version and as you say I doubt the hubs will be on a par with the beauties you currently use.

Mark.

Re:

I'm sure someone wanted to say it... and without meaning to offend anyone on here (apologies to the seller) but that rear hub looks a little worn.

I know Campag kit is very well engineered but seriously, three hundred pounds for a set of hubs that look as though the flanges are ready to shatter

"In good condition aside from some cosmetic markings where you would expect." chortle.

I just looked at the ebay ad - there's no way those are worth 300 quid! as mentioned, the rear is VERY corroded in the non-drive side - just look at all the mess around the spoke holes. NOS, these go for not much more than 300 quid (more, but not enough to make these a good deal) And while the QRs are campag and very decent, they're not the original record ones either, something lower down (centaur or similar I think, maybe chorus?)

I'd steer well clear and look for some in decent condition! You might find a better deal with a full set of wheels than just hubs alone.

Back