Denton decals. Help required.

trail-blazer

Retro Guru
Just got my frame back from the powder coaters and I need a couple of decals to finish the job. Just a couple of headtube decals and a downtube decal would do the trick.

I doubt any originals still exist so I was wondering if anyone had reproduced some or had any scans.

Before stripping the rusty old frame I roughly copied mine with tracing paper, just in case, but I need to do a lot more work on them to get them anywhere near good enough for someone to make some new ones up.

Looking for this style of decal.

I'd be very interested if you do locate some as I also have a Denton with these decals. No immediate plans to refinish, but you never know...

Originalshinkicker on here worked in the Denton shop BITD, so may have some ideas???

HW

I have very recently taken over the Denton Cycles name and re registered Denton Cycles Limited as a company, including the use of the 'DC' and 'DENTON' decals, which the previous director kindly allowed me to do. One of the first tasks is re-creating the headbadge etc. This is currently being done and I'm hoping to have some proofs through next week. I'll let you know as soon as I have some more news.

Cheers
Neil

Re:

Thanks for the replies, guys. I'm not in a mad rush to finish this bike so I'll look forward to seeing how you get on with reproducing the Denton logo.

The bike in question was in a rather sorry state and looked terminal due to the amount of rust it had. There was a lot of deep pitting on the rear triangle, the forks and beneath the main tubes so I wasn't expecting a flawless finish. I just wanted it clean and usable and the powder coaters did the best they could with a real basket case of a frame.

I had it done in Ral 6027 which is similar to Bianchi's celeste colour - I like it but not one for the purists I think.

I'm not sure on the model of bike as I've seen various bikes refinished with Denton decals but it has an Italian BB, nice lugwork with little diamond cutouts, braze-on shifter bosses and no mudguard eyelets. The fork crown and drive-side chainstay were chrome plated.

This is the sorry state in which the bike was found. I actually rode it home in this state and it worked perfectly but the badly rusted spokes worried me a bit. :shock:

I got rid of most of the components to cover the cost of the bike (£27 eBay) and to pay for it refinished so the frameset stands me nothing at all really. I kept the Cinelli bars and stem for the rebuild and I have everything else needed to finish the job. Everything won't be period-correct - I just want it clean and usable.

Velocals in California can recreate them, quality great, price reasonable but you may have to wait.

look up gil_m on here he is usually a good source of all things decals and based in the uk.

great to see these bikes still alive and kicking, rode with colin many many times, just a complete gent.. recall him towing me back from allenheads one sunday when I had bonked.

Ritz":2tocboan said:
Very nice job, looks great.

Did you have to repair the chain stays?

I haven't photographed the re-finished frame yet. I used a picture of my other Denton to show the style of decal I need.

In those pictures, the stays look a lot worse than they actually were as it was a genuine 'barn find' and was caked in mud. The frame was actually rock solid but badly pitted in places. I used JB weld to fill the pits before handing it over to a powder coater.

I gave him another Raleigh frame to do which came back flawless but the Denton has imperfections in the powder. It looks OK and is usable but could be perfect if the powder was flatted and redone with paint. I might use it for a season or two and then have it redone.

The headset and new sealed BB are now fitted and I have everything (apart from a 26.6mm post) there ready to rebuild it. It's sort of on the back-burner while I build my Raleigh up and sort out the decal conundrum.

I do need some Reynolds 501 and 531 decals for my current projects but originals seem pretty scarce and expensive. Does anyone do reproductions?

Re:

This is the frame now. I have a tidy Pelissier/Rigida wheelset, polished 105 chainset and derailleurs, Cinelli Giro D'Italia bars and stem, white tapes and saddle ready to fit.

I tried the original Weinmann 500 calipers on the frame. I didn't really like the look of them and opted for polished modern dual-pivots instead for braking performance.

trail-blazer":3vwk8ara said:
I do need some Reynolds 501 and 531 decals for my current projects but originals seem pretty scarce and expensive. Does anyone do reproductions?

Try Nick at HLloyds (online). He has the complete Reynolds tubing decals range; they are excellent quality, easy to use and reasonably priced. He's a nice guy too.

HW

Back