Pedals and Cleats.

Meejoir

Retro Guru
I've ridden mountain bikes regularly since 1996 and have used Time Atac pedals for pretty much that whole period. However, I have dipped my toe into the world of road cycling and have refurbed a rather nice Principia Rex E. At first I continued to use my MTB shoes but I fancied some swish new road bike shoes so I got myself a lovely pair of Gaerne's and, as a happy Time customer, I got myself a pair of I-clic pedals and cleats (I'm not a Shimano fan).

So here's the problem. I've used them for about 3 weeks and had literally half a dozen rides (admittedly one was a 63 mile sportive) but already they've pretty much worn out, and although they still clip in they're loose on the pull up - they don't inspire confidence. I haven't done much walking in them either. :cry:

Obviously, by design, the cleats are exposed on road shoes, unlike my MTB shoes where a set of cleats can last a few years, even the brassy Time Atac cleats.

My question is, do all road pedals/cleat systems wear so quickly? I'm tempted to re-fit my old Time Atac XS pedals back on and ditch my shiny new shoes and pedals and put it down to experience.

Does anyone have any recommendations for longer lasting pedal/cleat systems? Speedplay looks interesting but rather expensive. :facepalm:

I don't use cleats much because most of my bikes have clips and straps, but I've had to start using them recently on one bike for competition. I've got Look Keo. Now, I know I have to put my feet down quite a lot (this is why I use clips and straps), but I haven't scuffed them along the road at all and they are really chewed up after 3 commutes, or 60 miles. I can't see a set of exposed plastic cleats lasting me more than a couple of weeks.

Have you looked at SPDs? Nominally they are mtb cleats, but they are very popular with roadies. Metal cleat and you can get shoes with the cleat plate recessed so you can walk properly in them.

Re:

+1 to all of what Jonny69 said.

Look plastic cleats scuff up terribly if you walk over anything more abrasive than a carpet. You can get special rubber covers to protect them from scratching, but you'd then have to carry them around and remember to put them on every time you step off the bike.

SPDs are a good choice if you're riding sportives/cyclos where you'll
have to step off for the feed stations and such like.

I'd probably only bother with race-specific cleats/pedals for proper racing where you don't normally have to step off the bike during the ride.

Johnny

Meejoir":1f17xue7 said:
I've ridden mountain bikes regularly since 1996 and have used Time Atac pedals for pretty much that whole period. However, I have dipped my toe into the world of road cycling and have refurbed a rather nice Principia Rex E. At first I continued to use my MTB shoes but I fancied some swish new road bike shoes so I got myself a lovely pair of Gaerne's and, as a happy Time customer, I got myself a pair of I-clic pedals and cleats (I'm not a Shimano fan).

So here's the problem. I've used them for about 3 weeks and had literally half a dozen rides (admittedly one was a 63 mile sportive) but already they've pretty much worn out, and although they still clip in they're loose on the pull up - they don't inspire confidence. I haven't done much walking in them either. :cry:

Obviously, by design, the cleats are exposed on road shoes, unlike my MTB shoes where a set of cleats can last a few years, even the brassy Time Atac cleats.

My question is, do all road pedals/cleat systems wear so quickly? I'm tempted to re-fit my old Time Atac XS pedals back on and ditch my shiny new shoes and pedals and put it down to experience.

Does anyone have any recommendations for longer lasting pedal/cleat systems? Speedplay looks interesting but rather expensive. :facepalm:

Are the cleats the red / black ones or just black?

I have just worn out a set or red / black in about 1000 miles, as I think they are the I-clic ones. the black ones are the iclic-2's and they are supposedly harder wearing (has been discussed elsewhere on bike forums) but overall, they are not very hard-wearing compared to MTB units that are metal.

I think generally, 'that's the price for lightweight items' (although in my opinion they clearly don't last long enough), but surprised yours have worn out quite so quick. I found mine would not engage properly sometime and you could pull up and out of them, but that was usually due to the front cleat shedding some of the walking material and messing up the interface between the shoe and pedal, so if you have any bits of hardened rubber sticking off the cleat, cut it off.

Otherwise, sadly, they don't last that long but then again I have been told the same with some of the Look cleats, albeit, never tried them. I have only ever had Time pedals over the last *ahem* few years.

Back