Worlds clothing, bad etiquette ?

Mike Muz

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
Bontrager Fan
Feedback
View
When I was younger , it was I thought an unwritten rule that you don't wear a world champions top , or a yellow jersey too for that matter . Unless you are the winner of those races .
Am I losing it , or was that the case ?
However , I have always used trade team kit to train in , as it's cheap . So where - if anywhere - does the buck stop with this ?
Forgive me if this has been done to death before on the forum , just like to hear your thought on this matter , that's all .
Cheers , ;)
Mike

Wearing WC 'rainbow' clothing tends to be frowned upon by some people, especially on the continent even though the jersys can be 'legally' acquired. A friend of mine wore one (ex Tom Simpson allegedly) many years ago at a CX event in Belgium or Holland and he was harangued by several people for doing so. The jersey was actually being worn as an 'under layer' but even so it raised a few hackles.

I've never done it, mainly because I could never be mistaken for anyone that good........................

Trade team clothing is a different matter. I wear it because it's usually quiet bright and visible.

Except for Team Sky that is :roll:

I think you can probably get away with yellow and Rainbow tops nowadays.........just.

The hard thing to wear is a king of the mountains and then having to get off and walk on a hill :)

Not really cricket though...........

Shaun

Absolutely agree, no one should wear those tops unless they are the champ etc.

It happens all the time these days though as cycling has become more popular the average joe doesn't understand the faux pas they are making, in the new forest a few months ago I saw loads of world champions and tour winners riding like idiots, one nearly took me out as he was on the wrong side of the road!!

When I was in France this summer I sat down to dinner in the chalet and was served dinner by ffion griffiths and her girlfriend, they were getting cheap food and accommodation for helping out in the chalet, I didn't know who ffion's girlfriend was until someone told a story about her wearing the national champ top while out riding, someone was grumbling about it, so she said "it would seem rude if I wore my world champion top all the time" but then she had earned her jersey as women's downhill champ, her full name escapes me at the moment, emmelyn something, I'll have a google in a minute

Just googled, it was emmilyn ragot.

....this takes me back to a brief cameo in my racing career when I was living and racing in Germany & Holland back in the mid 60's and being a stalwart of the "I'm Backing Britain" brigade I had a cycling jersey made up and sent to me in the style of a Union Jack flag (I considered myself a Mod back then and it was similar to my hero Pete Townsends Union Jacket he wore on television when The Who played on RSG) with the foolish notion of wanting to stand out in the bunch I proudly wore it at the next Kermesse however I was off the back after three laps due to the incredible pace being set which meant every time I went through the home straight there were loud guffaws at the Britisher from the partisan crowd who was getting redder and redder....needless to say I certainly stood out I got lapped and never wore it again in a race, lesson learnt!

Griff

If your in a club you should be proud to where your club kit with pride :)

Nob":x463yw7p said:
If your in a club you should be proud to where your club kit with pride :)

Well , I used to be in a club , but not anymore . I will still use the club tops 'til they wear out , but the shorts were shocking . Sometimes I had to check that I'd put them on the right way around , they fitted that badly ! :shock: Made by a company called Jolanda I believe .
I think that I can get away with worlds socks , although I do feel a bit of a fraud wearing an early '90s BCF top as I haven't raced for an official Great Britain team , although I have raced abroad occasionally .
Mike

Back