Screw on hubs - same for campagnolo and shimano?

samsbike

Retro Guru
I am still trying to figure out my build.

Currently I have record hubs and a couple of spare cassettes. Can I use those cassettes on a dura ace hub? Are they all the same if screwed on? Also if I buy new cassettes and they are screw on will they all fit?

Also my hub has roughly a 5mm spacer on the drive side, do all 126mm hubs have these?

Thanks

Sam

You probably know this and know the difference but you refer to "screw on" which suggests a traditional freewheel. you also use "cassette" which is the modern , slide on system.
The latter are not compatible between Campag and Shimano, the former are usually compatible along with other makes. Exceptions apply.

Sorry I wasn't clear. I am desperate to get the bike on the road and want to get a set of wheels that are 126oln, run clinchers, take 5/6 speed and have a mystical 5mm spacer on the drive side so that the chain can clear the chaistay on the smallest sprocket- any advice?

AFAIK (which admittedly ain't far) the only component of the old screw-on block hubs which changed dimensions over the years to accommodate increasing OLN requirements was the axle, maybe the QR skewer, too? Apart from that, all you need is that spacer. It ain't that mystical- A decent bike shop will probably have one, or improvise. I've got all sorts of washers keeping my locknuts the right distance apart.

So, are your Record and Dura-Ace hubs for screw-on block? If you have the hubs, Is the axle too long or too short?

Unlikely but not impossible, watch out for blocks with French thread. Assuming your hubs have English thread, test a block by screwing it onto a steel English-thread adjustable BB cup. It should be the same thread. If it's not, at least steel against steel is a fair fight! If the threads 'bind' before you've screwed the cup all the way into the block, then you know not to use that block on the hub- if the hub is alloy, the steel thread on the freewheel block would destroy the thread on the hub.

hold on there. Putting a spacer on one side only will mean your wheel is no longer central to the frame and brake. You would need the wheel redishing, ie. work the spokes to pull it central again or put the same thickness spacer both sides (but the frame may not be wide enough for the latter.

Pictures as this is absolutely driving me nuts.

All I want is a set of wheels I can run clinchers on this bike.

I have a two sprocket set a five speed and six speed. Both are around 28mm in width.

So my question is, what do I need to buy to make this whole thing work? Is it a 126 hub and then fit spacers or is this standard etc.

Sorry but I have no idea what I am doing

thanks for the help

Attachments

• record hub.jpg
    record hub.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 181
That spacer is MASSIVE.
There is enough clearance there to get another one or possibly 2 sprockets on.

If you are having gear problems with A.N.Other wheel/sprocket combination, i'd guess its rear mech related. You only need around 4 or 5 mm between the outer face of the top sprocket and the drop out to get enough clearance. If the rear mech is set up properly of course!

mattr":1ioyug4n said:
That spacer is MASSIVE.
There is enough clearance there to get another one or possibly 2 sprockets on.

If you are having gear problems with A.N.Other wheel/sprocket combination, i'd guess its rear mech related. You only need around 4 or 5 mm between the outer face of the top sprocket and the drop out to get enough clearance. If the rear mech is set up properly of course!

The issue with the AN Other wheel/ sprocket is that while a modern 130 OLN with a 9 speed cassette will fit, it will foul the rear chain stay when on the smallest sprocket and I dont think I can fit a spacer on a 130hub, well there does not seem to be any space.

So I thought I would just get a 126 hub/ wheel combo as that would make it easier and I can then run tubs when its nice. However, I dont know what to buy that will simply fit on. I have seen some stuff for sale, that have screw on freewheels but then I do have to get spacer or will they work out the box?

thanks

Actually, looking closer, is that spacer removeable, or is it threaded onto the axle, cos it looks to me like the lock nut (its slightly tapered).

In which case, the wheel hasn't been fudged and any 126 OLN should fit, either with the freewheel you have on there (which is 28mm wide?) or the 6 speed.

Back