Get a load of this Battaglin!

Ian Raleigh

rBotM Winner
Feedback
View
Well I've been on the cycling scene since 1979 and seen some right strange machines
come and go over the years but never in my dreams have I ever seen such a crazy looking
machine, I've seen a similar framed Pinarello Lo Pro version but not with this crazy set up!
I mean just look at the front forks and the crazy front wheel.

These pictures are off a facebook page so just had to share these two pictures with you guys,
in the second picture the rider is Roberto Visentini, this type of bike was banned in 1985.

battaglin2_zpsa8a226ef.jpg

battaglin_zps646adb73.jpg

Mr. Visentini is looking apprehensive.. Either he's spotted a developing side-wind, or he's beginning to suspect that a rival team have emptied a kilo of sugar into that front wheel while nobody was looking..

........he's thinking "I could have sworn the tops of these bars were straight when I set off, rolled up tinfoil is no substitute for Cinelli 64's.."

This bike is still on display at battaglin offices in italy .

They reckon its the first carbon monocoque made in Italy . Remember at that time Giovanni Battaglin and his bikes was right up there in terms of profile and prescence .
Theres some nice modolo kronos levers on the bike .

He was recently retired having won the Giro and Tour of Spain in the same year , and Roche had ridden / was riding the triple on a Battaglin steel bike around that time , so the Battaglin bikes of the mid to late 80s are quite popular .

Absolute top bloke is Mr Battaglin , very down to earth , and proper hardman .

Would think the thought behind was something to do with not being so hard to ride in side wind, it must deflect the wind better to have it hit a round surface than a flat?

Back