Klein Quantum BB fitting - a question

bm0p700f

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Well there is one in at present. I do not have the specilaist tool for this but I have succesfully removed the bearings using a part of a Race Face 6805 bearing extrator/press and a M8x1mm bolt to pull the axle out part way. The bearings remained in the frame. I then used a 14mm allen key as a drift and a lump hammer to push the axle out of the bearing compeletley this agin was easy but the bearings did not budge. Then I removed the bearings using my wheels manufacturing bearing extractors, they came out easily. So far so good. This tells me the press fit of the bearing into the frame has more interferance than the press fit of the bearing onto the axle. I thought when the axle was withdrawn the bearings are supposed to come with it. Obviously I am wrong on that.

Now for fitting.

I assume I need to press one bearing in -this part is easy as I have a 6003 drift and press. I then assume I need to "force/press" the axle through that bearing. However I do not want to press the newly pressed in bearing out in the process so I wonder if I should press the one bearing on the axle and then press the whole thing into the frame - a bit more tricky but if I use one of the old bearing as a drift my crown race setter will fit over a 6003 bearing allowing me to drift it into place. I can use an old 6003 bearing as a dift on the other side to drift the new bearing into place using the crown race setter again.

Does anyone have any better idea's about how to do this as this seems a bit heath robinson. Still I am half way there I just want the get the next bit right.

Back