Do indexed band-on shifters exist?

Jonny69

Senior Retro Guru
I'm looking at my options to switch my Bob Jackson from SS/fixed to geared. It's not got any brazed-on bosses for shifters, instead a pretty little wedge for a band-on shifter to nestle against. Are there any band-on shifters that are indexed or are they all friction?

Next question that is related: Rear spacing is 125mm or thereabouts. I was going to go for a 5-speed screw-on block, which is most likely what the bike would have originally had. Are 6-speed blocks the same width or wider than a 5? Are the gears spaced the same i.e. if I were to use an indexed shifter would it shift both a 5 and a 6 or are the spaced differently?

I'll probably stick with 5 gears, mainly because I already have one in my box ready to use. I'm also not interested in spreading the rear stays or using more-modern cassette systems, simply because I've got my hubs and rims ready to build up - just looking into gear options.

Ta muchly folks!

shifters can be unscrewed from some shimano band ons and replaced with indexed ones - a friend's bike has exactly this

cce":13t23yhh said:
shifters can be unscrewed from some shimano band ons and replaced with indexed ones - a friend's bike has exactly this

Yes, once you have your desired clamp band with bosses, index levers can be used. I've done so with some 6 speed Shimano levers.

Sheldon browns excellent site should tell you everything you want to know about gear cluster spacing. Www.sheldonbrown.com

Good luck.

Shimano band-on indexed shifters have been around for years. Mostly 6spd but they are interchangeable with any shimano shifter including 10spd.

Dura-Ace-7401-7spd-DT-shifters-clip.jpg

With regard to your second question, your OLN is just a mm shy of the old 6-block requirement of 126mm, your call as to whether you wan't to squeeze one in. Another alternative is an old 'compact-6', designed to fit in the same space as an old '5'.

Photo shows a Sun Tour Winner compact-6 side-by-side with an AFAIK non-compact Shimano 600 '5'.

002.JPG

1mm is fine, I just didn't want to spread it 5mm or more because the angle of the derailleur goes out and it's notchy when you use it. Cheers for the pic.

Back