Rim size 1960s ?

Chuck moo

Retro Guru
Here I am again, I am looking to get large flange campagnolo hubs and build them up onto to rims, however I don't know what size rim and type is best to get. I have a 1965 holdsworth pictured
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid= ... =1&theater
But at the minute I have tubs in here and I think they are 700 and the clearances look comfy not too stretched as you can see by the brakes. So the question is did bikes back then have 700 rims, do I go for 27 or 700 and then which make of rim is best ?
I haven looked and found fiamme, nisi, ambrosio and super champion

I first started riding in the early 70's and at the time most quality sporting frames were made for 27X1/4 wheels.

At that time most people had a set of sprints / tubs (700c equivalent) which they used for races and for best, but for most of the time they used their training wheels.

Depending on how far I had to ride to a race I swapped my normal wheels for sprints or took them on a wheel carrier LOL

My paper round paid me 48 pence a week so the cost of sprints and tubs were enormnous.

Real racing bikes destined for road and track use were for sprints and tubs only and the something like the Carlton flyer Madison came with space for sprints/tubs only.

The best compromise today is a nice set of 700c clincher rims with classic looking tyres :D

Shaun

Back