Weird brake calliper installation

Johnsqual

Senior Retro Guru
Hello,

I've just seen a bike for sale with the brake calliper installed on the
inside of the brake bridge (i.e. inside the rear fork triangle).

Is there any reason to do this, or is it just incompetence? Would it
have any benefits or disadvantages for braking? For example, would
it put more stress on the calliper arms?

Obviously it's easy enough to fix, but just wondering if there was any
rationale for it.

Cheers,

Johnny

Not that wierd. Just rare.
Tony Oliver for one used to suggest this with centre pull brakes. Only very recently some new TT bike was introduced with front brakes behind the fork.
Tandems sometimes have that as well.

Johnsqual:

Why would you assume incompetance?

Forces applied would be no different to the front brake surely.

Do you have pictures? It may be done for aesthetic clean lines.

Please don't modify it. It is as intended, rather rare and works perfectly well with almost any brake caliper.

Ally":14tbseab said:
Johnsqual:

Why would you assume incompetance?

Mainly because of past experience of the particular sale site. I've seen quite a few obvious errors, e.g. rear QR lever on the drive side, front fork bent about 45 degrees out (and the bike advertised as 'good condition'), rusty old tat with fake decals sold as genuine Gios or Colgano, I bought a bike with a shimano crane RD and one of the limit stops was replaced with a wood screw. So I tend to assume the worst...

I didn't buy the bike in question, but wondered if this was an acceptable thing to do because it could potentially solve a problem I have with another build (a bike with a rack that's in the way of the rear brake).

I also wondered if placing the rear brake like that would increase its stiffness, because it is being pushed back agains the seat stays.

Johnny

Back