freewheel removal problem

foz

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I have a set of wheels with C-record screw on hubs. There is a dura ace 7s freewheel fitted, which I want to remove. The only problem is that my freewheel removal tool won't go over the locknut. I can't get a cone spanner onto the locknut either, because the flats are more or less hidden inside the freewheel. And even if I could get the cone spanner on, I can't get at the other end because I can't find a puller suitable for the C-record dust cap....

so, before I start ordering new freewheel tools to see if they'll fit (the Park FR-1 apparently has thin sides), or mess about trying to get the dust cover off, does anyone have any ideas? I've read that car battery terminal pullers will fit, but these aren't peanuts cheap either, especially as I can't try before I buy!

Thanks, Andy

Do you need the freewheel? if not then undo the screw holding in the pawls, remove the cogs and then undo the body from the hub with a vice..

Can you get the locknuts off the other side and slide the spindle out?

Shaun

I had the same issue - I levered the dust cap off with a flat bladed screw driver (with care), and then removed the axle before taking the freewheel off.

I definitely don't want to destroy anything - it's all practically unused!

I think I'm going to see if I can make my own DIY c-record dust cap puller, then I should be able to take the locknut and cone off the non-drive side and slide the axle out like you say.

OK, after 5 minutes rummaging in the bottom of my tool box, I've found a few bits which I think I can use to make my own dust cap puller! I still need to measure, bend, file, and maybe find a longer screw, but at the moment I think it looks promising!

Attachments

• DSCN8875.JPG
    DSCN8875.JPG
    148.9 KB · Views: 887
  • DSCN8874.JPG
    DSCN8874.JPG
    105.4 KB · Views: 887
Hang on. I have the Dura Ace 2-dog freewheel remover and you are welcome to borrow it. Can you post a picture of the offending set up so I can try to judge if the remover will get it off?

All the best,
Nick

Hi Nick, thanks for the offer but this is a dura ace 7400 7s freewheel, it takes a splined tool very similar to a more modern cassette lockring tool.

I'll let you know how I get on with taking the dust cover off!

Don't you need to get the splined tool for removing a splined freewheel. I've got one, it's like what you said, the one for a cassette, but the freewheel one is much longer. I got one from my LBS

Some splined removal tools are so thick that they won't go over the cones / locknuts however long they are......... so the spindle has to be removed :(

Shaun

Latest posts

Back