Campag' inner chainring ??

Ian Raleigh

rBotM Winner
Feedback
View
Hi guys,

Did Campag' produce a 144BCD 39t chainring ?

Need to get shut of my 42t inner ring and replace with a 39t so i can get up the hills easier :oops:

Thanks.
Ian.

39 is the smallest available with 135mm BCD, so I think with 144 it would be impossible...

Just had a look at my campag / sugino / SR chainring collection and the smallest I have is 42, even then it has had the Alf Engers treatment so there is not much left of it so had to count the teeth.

Not even sure if a 41 exists as my Drillium 42 sits tight against the chain ring bolts LOL

Shaun

Yes, 41t is the smallest 144 BCD chainring available.

In terms of the gear ratio, going to 39t from 42t isn't that big a difference and you can get the same benefit by fitting a bigger rear sprocket as long as your rear mech handles it.

EG: if you had a bottom gear of a 42/24 combination that's 47.25 inches. Changing to a 39/24 gives you 43.87 which is a bit lower. By keeping the 42t chainring and fitting a 26t sprocket you get 43.62 inches - the same as 39/24. What freewheel/cassette and rear mech are you using?

Mark.

I can confirm the smallest possible is 41, and I have one in the garage. I believe Campag never made anything less than 42 for 144 bcd. Let me know if you want the 41.
Nick

nammonk":2nl8t3u0 said:
I can confirm the smallest possible is 41, and I have one in the garage. I believe Campag never made anything less than 42 for 144 bcd. Let me know if you want the 41.
Nick

Even with this size the chain runs on top of the spider arm and - I think - some later arms have a slight groove machined in them for the chain to 'sit' on. I also think (but could be wrong of course!) that Campag did make a 41 but they are rather rare.

Thanks for the replies mates ;)

I never thought about how small the ring can go until it hits the spider so it looks like i'll leave my 42t on it,
doubt getting a 41t would make life much easier for me.

Ian.

Back