Retro Lights / Dynamo

Covcycler

Retro Newbie
Hello

I have owned a 1954 Ridgeway for about 18 months or so and searching some lights, however I am looking for some retro lights like the Busch & Muller Lumotec but that involves converting the front wheel to a dynamo hub ? Is this correct ? and if so what do I need to purchase as I have no knowledge of dynamo lighting i.e do I need a new front wheel or can I get the hub part and is it possible to get one that looks retro to fit in with the bike.

Also where can I can get a retro back light ? I haven't come across many scouring the internet.

Any info provided would be greatly appreciated so I can understand a bit more about dyanmo hub/lights and whether I should invest or stick with battery lights,

:)

Dynamo hubs just go in place of the normal front hub and you re-lace the wheel with shorter spokes. The middle bit doesn't turn and there are two terminals that you connect up to the lights. I've never measured the voltage but I guess it must be 5-6V.

Here's a picture of one in the front wheel of my RSW:

img5520s.jpg

img5518a.jpg

There is a switch on the light unit itself and the lights are actually surprisingly bright. I'd guess on a taller wheel bike you won't be pulling the same sort of rpm at the hub so the output won't be as high. There are a number of retro looking bike lights out there from Velo Orange, some on eBay and some from Amazon. I was thinking of converting mine to a CREE LED using the head off a cheap CREE torch mounted in the reflector.

Hmm. Having never posted a picture of my RSW on Retro Bike before, I find myself posting pictures twice in a week!

cheers guys I think I know what I need to do, when I get round to it I will post a pic of my bike as it is now hopefully in the next few months I will have got all the finishing touces done to it

Back