Does any body know about DT Swiss S Light hubs?

Tootyred

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
Ive found a front wheel with a DT Swiss " S Light" dynamo hub on it. Its quite odd, with an on / of switch at one end, connectors at the other and end terminal guards.

A quick internet seach turned up nothing.

I would estimate from the wheel its mid 80s.

Any body shed any light on it

Attachments

• 20220218_153458.jpg
    20220218_153458.jpg
    351.4 KB · Views: 15
  • 20220218_153511.jpg
    20220218_153511.jpg
    307.5 KB · Views: 15
Why not contact DT Swiss to see if they can help as that would be my first port of call

Possibility. But ive found asking companies about products that they made 40 years ago, tends to be less than fruitful......like when i contacted Marin about decoding early frame and was told the photos i provided of a frame wasn't one of theirs and that was not one of their frame numbers........until i pointed out i bought it new from them!

But it may be worth a try.

Thanks

It'll be later than 1980s - DT Swiss didn't exist until the mid-1990s when the management bought some of the production facilities of the then defunct Beil United Wire Works (Vereinigte Drahtwerke Bielin Beil)

Aha! Are you the lucky man who got the beautiful Saracen?!
I am still beating myself for not buying it...

Best

Yes. Just down the road and big size, so seemed rude not to really.

Oddly it came originally from a guy who was well known around the bike shops apparently! Im struggling to place him, especially as i worked in the saracen dealership......but it was all a long time ago in a galaxy far away. Im going to speak to my ex colleague, who also went on to work for bucks in ipswich and see if he can put a face to the name. Its got a bucks decal on it, but he may have just looked after it....or supplied it as a one off...nice to have some local interest as im.....well.......local!

Sadly, the original owner has how passed away and was sold by a friend.

One of the reasons i asked about the hub, is its been laced into the original rim, so i kinda wanted a date for the hub to get and idea of its pedigree. But if its much later, i will take it off....it weighs a ton too!

There will be a build thread.....but for the moment, im just taking those bloody ridiculous bmx bars off. They are freak factory bars and they even have a shim cut from a frame in the stem as they are old skool 21.1mm.

Latest posts

Back