Shimano AX Dura Ace Handlebars

taylorsummers

Old School Hero
Feedback
View
Hi everyone,

Does anyone know anything about these bars?? I am going through my garage to try and free up some space and i have found a pair. Can't even remember when they have come from :shock: :shock:

They have a Dura Ace and ax logo and say they are a size 40. The funny thing about them is they have quite a flat top bit, a bit like the new carbon handlebars. Are they suppose to be like this?? Also the ends are cut off at an angle, were they like this??

I cant really find much on the net about them, so any info would be appreciated.

Thanks guys

Cheers
Craig

The AX group was Shimano's early 80's foray into aerodynamic components. Some very cool and wierd stuff: the best quill stem ever; large spindle pedals and left field brakes.

Is yours like this:

B42B9164-297F-407F-A9BD-AF1816E268BF.jpeg

Perhaps a bit heavy but looks fantastic.

More info here:

http://velobase.com/ListComponents.aspx?SearchID=482e963f-058c-4197-ba18-ad7dda8c9c00

those funny angled ends

I have a pair of these, they're a beautiful shape, and perfect for the 1988 Peugeot I'm building up, but the ends of the bars are angled quite strangely, and I can't find any 'normal' bar plugs that fit! any suggestions?

Re:

Apologies for a dredge, but they are such lovely bars! I have a pair on a bike that I am building. I have the same bar end* issue. I have been pondering how to design and build a home made solution.

This is the sort of item that some little company should be making and flogging. This is a link to a set of bars that are ludicrously priced... but one of the photos show what I believe to be the Shimano design bar end.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dura-Ace-AX-han ... 1116421416

* Sorry, I have to use the language that feels right to me. The thing that you put on the end of a bar to stop yourself getting skewered in a crash is a bar end. I have heard rumours that there are these weird ugly things that some people call bar ends that give an extra hand position on the end of bars, but I refuse to believe that something so ridiculous exists.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
If you intend to sell them, don't sell them for buttons! In the USA they sell up to £400! Yes Four Hundred Quid!!!

The ends of the bars are angled so the Shimano blue aero end cap fits lovely, the caps come up on ebay sometimes.

rraa022_zps2f3349dc.jpg

Re:

I did find a pair of the correct ends and completed the build - unfortunately the bike was stolen in East London - the thief probably never knew what he stole - the groupset alone was probably worth well over a grand if I see any ax shimano for sale on eBay in London I will collect in person if you know what I mean...:mad:

Re: Re:

Mobidog":i7c8te9i said:
I did find a pair of the correct ends and completed the build - unfortunately the bike was stolen in East London - the thief probably never knew what he stole
Talking about people not knowing what they have?

My Son works in scrap steel recycling yard and is always getting bike bits and just around the corner
were he works is a bike shop that does fixie bikes and my Son had to fetch a bike which had a broken
frame, the frame still had its stem & cut off upturned fixie style bars, my Son then noticed they are
the DA-AX bars!! What a crime to cut such bars down, I can photograph them if you don't believe me.

Ian Raleigh":3v7ewtij said:
If you intend to sell them, don't sell them for buttons! In the USA they sell up to £400! Yes Four Hundred Quid!!!

The ends of the bars are angled so the Shimano blue aero end cap fits lovely, the caps come up on ebay sometimes.

rraa022_zps2f3349dc.jpg

a rather nice road ace if i'm not mistaken . . .

those were the best ever brake levers too. i was thinking about them during a long grovel uphill where my dura ace 7400 were digging into my mitts - some things are never improved on . .
:roll:
:cool:

Back