Somec Restoration or Not Restoration?

Johnson22

Old School Hero
Just won this Somec, was wondering at the price I got it is it worth giving it a paintjob? Bought it for £150 posted.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/47461663@N ... 332095291/

Also any info on Somec would be much appreciated, Ive seen a couple around but never looked into them. All I know is they have radical paintjobs. Im not sure whether I should get rid of the original paint and chrome...

Cleaning, preparing, rechroming (proper quality), multiple fade repaint and having all the graphics reproduced - I wouldn't be surprised if it easily runs over 500gbp

300gbp would be a steal. You could ask yourself whether it wouldn't be easier and cheaper to buy a mint condition frame instead. Also taking into account it is a Cromor frame. Okay tubing, but with Max Nivacrom a serious investment would probably be easier to justify.

Definitely keep the paint job as it is. You'll never get anything like it done again without paying huge amounts of money. If you're careful you should be able to get rid of the rust spots and touch up the worst bare patches. The damaged decals you'll have to live with.

It's a great frame/paint job and if you get it re-sprayed it will lose a whole lot of soul.

Mark.

Back