Block Ratios

12monthban

Dirt Disciple
Hey out there,
I'm in the process of renovating my Legnano 14 speeder that currently is a bit of a mixedbag of components.
My block is a rather standard 14/28 and has many teeth missing. I would like to change it for a smaller ratio option such as 11/23 but this seems to be easier said than done, my local shop can only get 14/28.
I use the bike to commute in and out of Dublin everyday so I don't really need gearing capable of getting my up hills, just of getting me in a bit faster for those days I'm running late.
If anyone out there knows where it is possible to get different ratio blocks, it would be much appreciated.
Many Thanks
Tom

I take it that you are wanting a closer ratio 7-speed screw-on block? Don't think you'll manage an 11 sprocket with this but a 12 might be possible, 13 is definite. What ratios would you realistically want?

I guess 13-23 or simular would be fine, I don't really know whats out there tbh. My local shop were talking about an 11-23 until i mentioned it was a block, apparently it is easier to get close ratios for a cassette....
I'm no expert, I just find myself only using the small cogs and wondered if smaller gearing was even possible.
The 14-28 just seems a waste as half the gearing does not get used and it would be handy to have a faster gear.
Any ideas where I could get a block from?
Thanks for the reply
Tom

Back