"Earwax" in my rx105 shifters

Sirrahkin

Dirt Disciple
After a very long period of inactivity, it seems that the reason behind both L & R RX105 shifters(1996-7) not working properly is that the lubricant/grease has turned to "earwax".

My plan is to give them a good soaking in a strong degreaser and then get a high pressure airline on them to blow the rubbish/congealed lube out.

Q1) Am i likely to bugger them up using the above method?

Q2) What lube/grease would you recommend that i apply if they start working correctly? (I'm from the UK)

Thanks for any replies.

had a similiar problem with my original ultegra version as left hand shifter wouldn't bring the front mech back down to the small ring. Squrted some pfte lub in there, can't remember the name but comes in a green can. did the trick and shifts like a dream now. Also used the same for a mates 105 right shifter.

Agreed, 9 times out of 10 squirting GT85 or TF2 into the levers gets them working again .If that fails,try pouring boiling water into the lever,that's worked for me as a last result.
Don't be tempted to take them apart! :D

Thats it TF2 is the stuff. as also advised Don't try taking them apart, you'll never get them back together. Have learn't that on Mr Shimano's mtb shifters :?

Thanks. I used to use GT85 but have used WD40 on everything lately which is a big mistake apparently.I will give it a go afterwards.

I'd just use a dab of white grease. WD40 should loosen them off but the old grease will probably go hard again once the WD40 evaporates, so mop up as much as you can of the old manky black goo that comes oozing out once you've sprayed them and replace it with nice fresh clean grease.

It might also be a gummed up cable, worth checking.

Don't use petrol or thinners though. I don't know what the little plastic bearings are made of but you can guarantee they'll dissolve in a strong solvent...

Thanks for the replies.
I purchased some TF2(12.5% free atm!) and liberally squirted both shifters. The helpful chap at the LBS also suggested cleaning and lubing/spraying the inner cables.Clean cables and a clean chain and some new dry lube oil on the chain left me with perfect shifters once again.
Cheers.

Back