Attention Speedwell fans

Beautiful. I've only ever touched titanium once. I was looking to use it for reed valves in a pulsejet. It's strange stuff to handle. It looks like aluminium and when you pick it up it's just as light but stiffer than steel and so hard you can't cut or drill it.

I know where an early Speedwell titanium frame was, in private hands, and may still be.
If any interest I could contact the owner, and check whether it's available.

Keith

There was a Speedwell (repainted bright yellow) frameset doing the rounds on eBay last week - auction seems to have ended now though. Would be interested to know what the winning bid was!

Speedwells weren't without their problems (apparently the ride was very whippy as they used pure "CP grade" Ti rather than stuff alloyed with vanadium and aluminium in similar tube diameters to steel tubesets of the day) but seem to have had better structural integrity than their Stateside contemporary the Teledyne Titan.

David

There was a Speedwell bike at Yorks Rally this year, very nicely made and light.

About 20 year ago I went to the Masters World championships at St Johann (only to watch, not compete!) and saw several titanium bikes there. They were all phenominally light with extended seat 'masts', one piece bars/stem/brake levers, pedals etc. I chatted to one of the owners who was Swiss and he told me they were made by an Italian guy - basically in his garden shed! Just then the guy himself turned up on his own machine which was even more radical, even to the extent of drilling out components even though they were super-light to start with. These bikes would not have complied with the current UCI weight regulations! I'm afraid it was only a brief meeting and didn't get his name (or any photos regrettably) but the bikes' memory will always stay with me.

What I did acquire was the info that you needed an extensive bank balance to have one as they were individually made to order so as to fit the user exactly.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Speedwell-Titaniu ... 500wt_1154

and one from here bought for less than £100 at a police auction

speedwell001.jpg

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back