Can anyone tell me anything about these two Falcon Cycles?

ibbz

Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Karma King
Dyna-Tech Fan
Feedback
View
Does anyone know much about these two frames?
The blue one in particular is stunning - it reminds me of a Carlton Professional
I remember falcon cycles but don’t know much about the history - I’ll of course trawl the internet for info but what do you guys think of these two frames? And any love for the marque ?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254724426679
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/303346987845

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
The first is class, probably a San Remo. Can't comment on the build because it's from before my time with the company but it's from the era before cost-cutting dropped the product quality to the basement levels of the late 70s & 80s. Speaking of which, the second is from that time and IMO can't hold a candle to the first. It would surprise me if the second had anything more than the main tubes of 531, in fact, from what I saw in the frame shop back then I'd not raise an eyebrow if it was only the seat tube. The forks are the bog-standard Far East units which they bought in by the thousand.

jim haseltine":1af7204q said:
The first is class, probably a San Remo. Can't comment on the build because it's from before my time with the company but it's from the era before cost-cutting dropped the product quality to the basement levels of the late 70s & 80s. Speaking of which, the second is from that time and IMO can't hold a candle to the first. It would surprise me if the second had anything more than the main tubes of 531, in fact, from what I saw in the frame shop back then I'd not raise an eyebrow if it was only the seat tube. The forks are the bog-standard Far East units which they bought in by the thousand.
Thanks you
The first just oozes quality from every angle
The second looks rustic - but has that charm from the period - it said 531 so I assumed it may have some potential. Even a HiTen steel frame And fork which is built in England is worthy (imo) but I didn’t realise these Newer Late 70s and 80s frames And forks were built In the Far East! I’m very disgusted by that.
Do you think the first frame is worth bidding for and if so what do you think it’s worth? I fancy a class road racer bike and I haven’t had once since I sold the Raleigh Professional.

jim haseltine":70ritgys said:
I do like a Falcon myself and have to agree with what Jim says although I think there were a couple of exceptions.

I sold my San Remo a while back as it was too small for me but I've still got a few of examples of the red 531 frame, which were either Westminster or Super tourers from memory and perfectly acceptable for that but not as a classy racer and all have cost me a lot less than the one on ebay.

The only ones from that period that could possibly fit that description I would say would be the Pro's and Super Pro's, I do like my Pro although I will say the Tange tubed Falcon Majorca I have from that period is a nice enough thing as well.

allenh":3sewnh3r said:
jim haseltine":3sewnh3r said:
I do like a Falcon myself and have to agree with what Jim says although I think there were a couple of exceptions.

I sold my San Remo a while back as it was too small for me but I've still got a few of examples of the red 531 frame, which were either Westminster or Super tourers from memory and perfectly acceptable for that but not as a classy racer and all have cost me a lot less than the one on ebay.

The only ones from that period that could possibly fit that description I would say would be the Pro's and Super Pro's, I do like my Pro although I will say the Tange tubed Falcon Majorca I have from that period is a nice enough thing as well.
Thank you
I’m curious to know whether the Tourer /Super Tourer were all 531 tubes and whether they were made in England or abroad - and the forks?

Any Falcon frame with a 531 sticker was built in the UK. Where those built in the late 70s & early 80s are concerned I'd not put money on exactly how much 531 is in them. Super Tourists were black with half chrome forks, some of which (the forks) carried the triangular 531 stickers. Not that it means much because I also saw Super Tourist frames with triangular stickers on the main tubes. Of all the frames that were painted in house the black on the Super Tourist was by far the best finish, being the only one with any real gloss.

I remember the Majorca being an imported frame - available in two colours while I was there, a sort of pearl effect white and a rather attractive slate grey.

Re:

I had no idea that a frame could only have a limited amount of 531 in it. Was this common/legal?

The first frame is gorgeous, the seller should just name a price and sell it though. Always found this bids carry on a bit silly. If I really want something I buy it. Can't be doing with that messing about.

The first frame looks great. I used to drool over them as a young lad “back in the day”.

But if the intention was to get the full pro-team replica look, I might have lost the mudguard eyes

Re: Re:

Rapparee87":p6jddrps said:
I had no idea that a frame could only have a limited amount of 531 in it. Was this common/legal?
Very common. And completely legal (why would it not be?)

Some of them even had "main tubes" on the sticker so you knew explicitly what you were getting.

jim haseltine":3gbs5o7t said:
Any Falcon frame with a 531 sticker was built in the UK. Where those built in the late 70s & early 80s are concerned I'd not put money on exactly how much 531 is in them. Super Tourists were black with half chrome forks, some of which (the forks) carried the triangular 531 stickers. Not that it means much because I also saw Super Tourist frames with triangular stickers on the main tubes. Of all the frames that were painted in house the black on the Super Tourist was by far the best finish, being the only one with any real gloss.

I remember the Majorca being an imported frame - available in two colours while I was there, a sort of pearl effect white and a rather attractive slate grey.
Yes my Majorca is pearl white (pic below) and both my super tourers have been black. I've also got a later one with half chrome forks and a 531 sticker that has a rear mech hanger and is a sort of metallic aubergine colour. My Pro is light metallic blue and and a very similar one has just sold on ebay today

Attachments

• majorca.JPG
    majorca.JPG
    253.1 KB · Views: 664

Latest posts

Back