Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:38 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 7:48 pm 
Newbie

Joined: Mon May 25, 2020 5:59 pm
Posts: 6
Location: London
Hello, I’m new here and am looking at buying this old falcon to tinker with in my spare time. It’s got decals on it that say ‘Rapier’ but I’ve had no luck finding any falcon bikes with that name. Anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Also any tips on what work is likely to need doing (other than the obvious poor state of the wheels, which I’m guessing are beyond repair) would be greatly appreciated too :D

Apologies for the poor quality photos, they are the ones on the listing.


Attachments:
0601E37E-5F31-4FDD-8E32-11A943063E60.jpeg
0601E37E-5F31-4FDD-8E32-11A943063E60.jpeg [ 352.13 KiB | Viewed 474 times ]
DA62F17A-721A-4098-90F4-CAE6447EFF62.jpeg
DA62F17A-721A-4098-90F4-CAE6447EFF62.jpeg [ 371.5 KiB | Viewed 474 times ]
7D7896CA-9C8A-4984-8288-00D22E129ED7.jpeg
7D7896CA-9C8A-4984-8288-00D22E129ED7.jpeg [ 318.26 KiB | Viewed 474 times ]
1412F159-EDAB-4AAB-85D2-79D846A04894.jpeg
1412F159-EDAB-4AAB-85D2-79D846A04894.jpeg [ 348.73 KiB | Viewed 474 times ]
14AD288C-4DD3-42E1-8368-890142CE50FA.jpeg
14AD288C-4DD3-42E1-8368-890142CE50FA.jpeg [ 417.92 KiB | Viewed 474 times ]
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 9:47 am 
Old School Hero

Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:38 pm
Posts: 188
I think it is a Falcon Rapier.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 9:57 am 
Newbie

Joined: Mon May 25, 2020 5:59 pm
Posts: 6
Location: London
ZG862 wrote:
I think it is a Falcon Rapier.


Well I thought that myself but if you google Falcon Rapier there’s little to information about it. Plenty of photos but very little info about the bike itself. I understand that its a late 70s early 80s bike, and I know that there seems to be a gap of sorts in the information about Falcon bikes of the time so I wonder if this might just be one of those where info hasn’t survived about it


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 10:03 am 
King of the Skip Monkeys
King of the Skip Monkeys
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:34 pm
Posts: 32318
Location: Bournemouth's most wanted
Hi

I wouldnt worry about it too much, it is a very cheap model to cash in on the then cycling era, sometimes boom but often very bust.

It is not a bike to get excited over and unless its free, it is not worth spending any money on


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 10:07 am 
Old School Hero

Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:38 pm
Posts: 188
Excuse my flippancy. The thing is that its a bog standard low end "sports" bike and pretty unremarkable, from a time when the Internet was not really a thing - so not that surprising that there is little to find. On Barney's thread here http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... p;t=411092, Allen posts an image from a Falcon brochure and he may know where more such surviving artefacts hang out...

If you are looking for this style of bike, my advice (for what its worth) is to hang on for something made of lighter tubing with as many alloy parts as possible. A very nice old Dawes Atlantis Reynolds 531 frame and 90% of its parts went for £40 (Yes, FORTY QUID!) on ebay a couple of weeks back. This Falcon looks like a wold of pain in 2 wheeled form.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 10:14 am 
Newbie

Joined: Mon May 25, 2020 5:59 pm
Posts: 6
Location: London
ZG862 wrote:
Excuse my flippancy. The thing is that its a bog standard low end "sports" bike and pretty unremarkable, from a time when the Internet was not really a thing - so not that surprising that there is little to find. On Barney's thread here http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... p;t=411092, Allen posts an image from a Falcon brochure and he may know where more such surviving artefacts hang out...

If you are looking for this style of bike, my advice (for what its worth) is to hang on for something made of lighter tubing with as many alloy parts as possible. A very nice old Dawes Atlantis Reynolds 531 frame and 90% of its parts went for £40 (Yes, FORTY QUID!) on ebay a couple of weeks back. This Falcon looks like a wold of pain in 2 wheeled form.


Ah fair enough. You reckon its more hassle than its worth to try and do anything with then?

legrandefromage wrote:
Hi

I wouldnt worry about it too much, it is a very cheap model to cash in on the then cycling era, sometimes boom but often very bust.

It is not a bike to get excited over and unless its free, it is not worth spending any money on


It’s £50 on the Facebook Marketplace; thought it would maybe be something good just to tinker with in my spare time, try and tidy it up as best I can and have a bit of fun with but based on the answer above I’m guessing its not even worth doing that?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 11:20 am 
Old School Hero

Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:38 pm
Posts: 188
£50 is about £45 too much by the time you have bought it new wheels, tyres, brake blocks, chain, block, handlebar tape.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 11:23 am 
Newbie

Joined: Mon May 25, 2020 5:59 pm
Posts: 6
Location: London
ZG862 wrote:
£50 is about £45 too much by the time you have bought it new wheels, tyres, brake blocks, chain, block, handlebar tape.


Fair enough, I thought it might need most bits replacing :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 7:38 pm 
Old School Hero

Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:38 pm
Posts: 188
"@Malvern Rider" is listing a 23 1/2" Dawes Imperial on ebay tonight. Needs a bit of tidying but an infinitely better starting point. But I would say that.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 8:13 pm 
Newbie

Joined: Mon May 25, 2020 5:59 pm
Posts: 6
Location: London
ZG862 wrote:
"@Malvern Rider" is listing a 23 1/2" Dawes Imperial on ebay tonight. Needs a bit of tidying but an infinitely better starting point. But I would say that.


Thank you, I’ll have a look when it goes up :D


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: foz, L.F and 45 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

About Us

Follow Retrobike

Other cool stuff

All content © 2005-2015 Retrobike unless otherwise stated.
Cookies Policy.
bikedeals - the best bike deals in one place
FatCOGS - Fat Chance Owner's Group

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group