SRAM/Shimano compatibility

ashridge

Old School Hero
Feedback
View
I have read of the incompatibility of these two manufacturers because of the shifting ratio, but am left somewhat confused...

I have ESP 9.0 Gripshift and love them, but am looking to change the carbon 9.0 rear mech and 7.0 front mech, which while perfectly functional are looking tired. I am also unfamiliar with SRAM as a manufacturer.

Do I need to stick with SRAM kit or could I use a Shimano front or rear mech?

I should also mention that I ride an XT 9-speed cassette with no problems.

Thanks...

ashridge":3w21c8tm said:
I have read of the incompatibility of these two manufacturers because of the shifting ratio, but am left somewhat confused...

I have ESP 9.0 Gripshift and love them, but am looking to change the carbon 9.0 rear mech and 7.0 front mech, which while perfectly functional are looking tired. I am also unfamiliar with SRAM as a manufacturer.

Do I need to stick with SRAM kit or could I use a Shimano front or rear mech?
SRAM have made two different series of mtb rear derailleurs, one series compatible with Shimano shifters, and the other compatible only with their own shifters. The front derailleurs are all Shimano compatible.

For the rear, you need a SRAM ESP 1:1 series derailleur to work with your shifters. It used to be the case that the even numbers were Shimano compatible and the odds SRAM/ESP specific, but I'm out of touch. I'm sure the SRAM website can fill you in on the current status quo.

You can use any Shimano or SRAM 9-speed cassette.

Back