GT steel frames

KillerTurtle

Devout Dirtbag
What't the difference between the following steel GT frames:

- Outpost
- karakoram
- Psychlone

If I wanted a steel GT frame, what would be the best?

Thx!
Sven

Outpost, has a plain gauge chromo seattube, rest is hitensile steel, Karakoram is Double butted chromo tubing throughout, and the Pscychlone (if thats how you spell it) is TRue temper GTX type tubing, the lata is better, then karakoram, and last the Outpost

The Psyclone was at the top end of the GT range and was available as a frameset only. I think that it was first available in 1992 and was built in the US from True Temper GTX Ultra-III double butted tubing. Very,very nice. It also had some nice features like the 'groove tube' cable routing and a replaceable rear mech hanger.
The Avalanche and Bravado used more or less the same frameset but were available as complete bikes.

The Karakoram is a mid range frame available as complete bikes normally with DX/LX component mixes. They were usually made from Tange double butted cro-mo. Also really quite nice.

The Outpost was at the budget end of the range but was also generally from plain gauge Tange tubing. A bit heavy but they make good hack bikes and work horses.

I also have a karakorum and its fantastic but I dream of owning a psyclone one day. Not very common though :( . Avalanches come up a lot more and are very nice and retro :cool: In fact there were some for sale here recently.

Dont forget the Tequesta.

I built up mine as a quick and easy single speed. Quite a nice ride to be honest.

Latest posts

Back