Old style mechanical mileometers

cmjc

Old School Hero
Feedback
View
New bike computers are nice accessories, especially for training, but I just can't bring myself to fit one on a 1992 bicycle. Most of you will understand why.

So has anybody found a source of the old mechanical fork-mounted mileometers?
One of those, coupled with my nice pocket watch, will do me champion.

I'll use the organically powered vintage computer under my hat to work out speed.

cmjc":37996v2e said:
New bike computers are nice accessories, especially for training, but I just can't bring myself to fit one on a 1992 bicycle. Most of you will understand why.

I don't see why not - it's not like they're a new invention :roll: . I've still got four or five Cateye Vectras that I've had since the very early nineties .

Thanks, you can let him out of the strait-jacket for breakfast tomorrow.

Mileometers: We are thinking of those small oblong devices with a window, and a sprocket tickled round by a gubbins on a spoke, not the dial speedometers mounted on handlebars.

cmjc":37d7ggh1 said:
Thanks, you can let him out of the strait-jacket for breakfast tomorrow.

Mileometers: We are thinking of those small oblong devices with a window, and a sprocket tickled round by a gubbins on a spoke, not the dial speedometers mounted on handlebars.

I know what mileometers are yessir, I had them on bikes fifty years ago :roll: .
What I was commenting on was your statement that you didn't feel it was right to fit a computer to a 1992 bike (and no, I don't mean a dial (analogue) speedometer either......) and I presumably made the mistake of pointing out that as they've been around for donkey's years, it didn't have to be a "new" one.

I shouldn't have bothered, obviously.

i enjoy reading your input andy even if nobody else does

i would have one for the rear of the road bike on the turbo trainer but im not sure where to put it in relation to the wheel and i get a feeling the sound would drive me crazy

perry":18ezwdzc said:
i enjoy reading your input andy even if nobody else does

i would have one for the rear of the road bike on the turbo trainer but im not sure where to put it in relation to the wheel and i get a feeling the sound would drive me crazy

Thanks Perry - it seemed strange that I made what seemed like a perfectly sensible comment and ended up with some very odd replies - whatever :roll: :roll:

One of those mileometers on a turbo trainer would drive me mad with all that tick-ticking (as if time on a trainer isn't bad enough anyway).

Why not just use one of those "new fangled" computers :LOL:, but fit the sensor on the chainstay or seatstay - even better if you can get one with a cadence function too. That's what I did this last winter but I could rarely summon the enthusiasm to use it enough to get much benefit :oops: .

I had a Huret mileometer back in the 80s, if that's what you mean? -A little black box showing trip and total distance, by means of a pulley and selectable gear.
Ironically I thought it was dead Hi-Tech at the time.

Back