Am I pushing my luck?

unocogero

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
I know this is going to upset the purists but how much travel do you think a 96 Kona Cindercone can take before it completely messes up the handling?

And if it does mess up the handling can I reduce the problems by stem/height/handlebar based solutions?

I know someone is going to say 'any travel will mess it up' but I'm looking for a compromise as this is going to be a working bike, not a garage queen (and I have rescued it from a shocking state!)

back in the day it was common to create a capable dirt jumper from a kona frame and a set of early bombers with 100mm travel . if you need to its possible to lower coil sprung forks

Depending on the a-c length of the fork, you can probably use a modern 80mm without compromising handling too much. You might be able to lower the travel a bit as well.

I'd say you could fit upto 80mm travel without too much trouble. In '96 that was fairly common (along with 60mm). At that time DH rigs were looking at around 100-120mm!

As for the Flexstem as long as it's the Ti model! ;)

I was thinking of getting a Reba I have reduced to 85mm. I tried it today semi built with the Reba (at 115mm travel at the moment) and it was snatchy when it turned and didn't want to turn back.

I wondered if the fact that the fork pushes the wheelbase slightly forward (cos the crown offsets slightly forward compared to a P2) as well as slackening the angle of the frame might have made it feel funny.

Xesh":2tmy8a7q said:
As for the Flexstem as long as it's the Ti model! ;)

Whats a flexistem????

I really like your Elite avatar. How many hours did I waste on that game :shock:

It changes the head angle and makes the bike handle really badly. You'll find that the steering is far less sharp than normal. Also if you go up any steep hills you'll have to virtually lean over the handlebars to stop yourself from popping wheelies.

I know cos I fitted a 115mm travel fork to a Trek Y22 in '96/7. I only rode the bike like that once before I changed the fork! :LOL:

if you have 85mm thatl be great

443419950_8de78b107f.jpg

people will harp on about about lengths and angles but they are measured at rest without a rider present . its easy to forget a suss fork extends into a dip as well as absorbing the bumps . a ridden bike sits in the travel not at the end of it

Latest posts

Back