New member & new project (Rock Lobster Titanium)

Jimothy

Retro Newbie
Hi Guys

Been muddling about with mtb's for a few years and on Monday my boss mentioned he had an old Ti frame sitting in his garage gathering dust. Obviously I jumped at the chance of getting my hands on some Ti goodness so offered to take it off his hands.

Now I have no idea if this is a Paul Sadoff frame or not but its really a thing of beauty and weighs next to nothing. Its 90s era and has some nasty plastic pedals which will be coming right off.

Plan is to get back into full working glory. My first problem has been the 1-1/4 head tube which is making finding some forks a problem.

If anyone know anymore about the RL Ti's then any info would be appreciated.

Nice one

Jim

Hi Jimothy,welcome to the site,I'm no Rock lobster expert so don't know if its a Sadoff or not but either way it should have a 11/8" headtube,are your measurements correct?

It could be, I was only going by the old owners information.

Is it based on internal or external diameter?

It currently has half of a Ritchie Logic heaset which I assume is threaded.

Will go to the LBS tomorrow and find out for sure.

Just removed the bottom cup and measured it.

Its 1-1/8" as you guys suspected.

Ta, glad I discovered that now!

Just got an email back from Paul Sadoff.

Hello, Jim. The ti frames were manufactured for the Merlin Cycles, ltd. in Leyland nr. Preston Lancs. U.K. and though the frames were built from my drawings they were not built by me. Any chance of finding out the date of manufacture would be if you contact Merlin directly. I only have records for the frames I have personally built. I have seen the type of frame you posess and it was a very nicely made frame......no boast from me as you know now I wasn't the welder ! Cheers, Paul@ Rock Lobster cycles.

Nice to know :)

This was mine...

2130105671_f652749df4_o.png

Back