Best Way to remove anodising ?? Without damaging Ally !!

caustic soda , less than £2 from the chemist del but its proper nasty stuff so be carefull

and i mean be carefull in the sense that itl melt your skin

i did a load of stuff a few weeks ago in the sink , filled with water then add some powder and placed the bits in , took a while to get going but in half hour it would strip . then id pull them out ( i tied them all to bits of string but watered down it isnt as hazardous ) then i run them under the tap in the bath ( i was also doing a rim ) to stop the soda corroding away the alloy and to wash off the black that gets left behind

lock away the anodised bits you dont want to strip as you might get into it like i did and wander around the house looking for parts that would look better polished :LOL:

pull the plug and the drain gets a clean as caustic soda is just the active ingredient of drain cleaner

perry":zzdt0q3h said:
caustic soda , less than £2 from the chemist del but its proper nasty stuff so be carefull

and i mean be carefull in the sense that itl melt your skin

i did a load of stuff a few weeks ago in the sink , filled with water then add some powder and placed the bits in , took a while to get going but in half hour it would strip . then id pull them out ( i tied them all to bits of string but watered down it isnt as hazardous ) then i run them under the tap in the bath ( i was also doing a rim ) to stop the soda corroding away the alloy and to wash off the black that gets left behind

lock away the anodised bits you dont want to strip as you might get into it like i did and wander around the house looking for parts that would look better polished :LOL:

pull the plug and the drain gets a clean as caustic soda is just the active ingredient of drain cleaner

Excellent ;) Nice one for that... Sounds dangerous too which is always a bonus !! ha ha...

Just bought some Black Cook Bros Cranks but the black has well and trully had it so they will be going polished ally :D

Cheers fella.

Del

Craig Nicholson":2241na21 said:
Google search Frost Auto Restoration - they sell a kit and you can re-anodise with another kit they have.

Thanks for you advice fella... No need for re-anodising tho as they are going polished bare back ;)

Do a search, theres a few threads and someone done a nice pic story thingmy

kaiser":27n5x83k said:
Do a search, theres a few threads and someone done a nice pic story thingmy

I believe it may be Perry who has mentioned above ;)

Caustic Soda sounds the trick :)

Back