Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keep a Hardtail

• Keep a Full sus

• Total voters

speedplay

Senior Retro Guru
Well, its been a few months since I had a nasty off on the motorbike and I thought by now that I would be much fitter than I am.
I still have a lot of pain in my chest, shoulders wont work properly and it seems that I may have destroyed a chunk of my hip too :roll:

The doctors have said that I should make a fairly good recovery over the next few years but may not be back to where I was.

So, do I keep my collection of bikes and bits when I know theres a fair chance that Ill never use them for what I built them for? Or do I thin them down to one and use it with the mrs on the odd time I'll be able to ride again?

I cant see the point of keeping everything as garage queens but cant really decide what to do.

wow, that's such an arse thing to happen. :(

just don't sell all of them, keep atleast 1 to help with recovery and fitness when you feel up to it. and if it was 1, i would say full suss assuming it's an allrounder, and put the best/newest bits on it so when you can get out on it it'll be a well equipped bike in good nik.

hope you get better soon :D

Dunno, but it is amazing, my dad had a big off and smashed his pelvis to pieces, now is bionic on Ti bits and walks alright albeit one leg longer than the other. Scared the crap out of me and was a very grim time. Attitude wise he's back to his old self and collecting old crap like usual. Not seen him on his Claud Butler or his electric fold up bike :oops: but didn't wast much time on buying a Gold Wing!! I feel much better knowing he's cruising on one of these listening to Jim Reeves than on a CBR1000!

So does that help your decision? nope :roll: :LOL:

Maybe you want suspension for comfort, or maybe you cant deal with selling one? if you can happily sell one and not regret it and use the money space, go for it.

Sorry to hear about your problem and hope you make a speedy recovery, If I was your position, I would sell the collection but keep one bike when you fancy a ride and it will be there when you are ready, it seem pointless having many bikes that you cant ride for a while, get some money and treat yourself a new hobby, holiday or better comfort at home, etc.

I feel for you! OUCH! :cry:

If you can afford to keep, then keep. Only you know that. Buy if the bikes will pay for a new hobby, that you will enjoy as much then maybe it worth selling them? :?

Keep them!

I while ago (20th September to be precise) I crashed my bike and broke part of my shoulder. I was told the break would be fixed in about 6 weeks and then I would need a bit of physio and I'd be back to normal.

Well, that was a load of bollocks! I can still feel pain in the area of the break, it's a lot weaker than it should be, and having spoken to other people who had similar injuries to me, they also have the same problems.

The road to recovery is a long one, but please don't get disheartened or feel you need to give up something you enjoy just because at the moment you don't feel you can enjoy it like you used to.

Easier said than done but keep positive mate, things will get better!!

That's been a rough time. :cry:

All I'd say is that I do hear many stories where negative or conservative medical opinion is proved wrong by determination and healthy sensible recovery plans.

I broke part of my back in 02 and flogged my hardtails being scared into believeing I should only ride a full suss if anything. Bought a softail. Within 6months was back on a hardtail. Wished I hadn't flogged the stuff in the first place is the moral of the story.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.

I'd keep them too, but I would objectively look at getting rid of things that would decay from lack of use, such as tires and grips and other such soft goods...maybe saddles, but I'd think they'd be OK. Then just remove the cables and seat posts and quill stems, treat the insides of any steel frames you may have, and then stick the lot in the attic. They will be there ready for you when you feel up to it. :cool:

Suspension components might need additional storage prep, specific to type.

Good luck!

The whole reason i found this forum was i wanted to clear my collection after a back injury.

I stuffed my back about five years ago and haven't riden hard since. I honestly don't think i will again! Although i kept a couple of bikes that make sense as knockabout rides. I sold my exotica off.

I feel it was just a waste to keep them locked away, and i know that there are some very happy people on this forum that enjoy my old kit like it was intended.

Al.

ps. Good luck with whatever you choose!

Back