Top mount Shimano thumb shifters info

Thunderchild

Old School Hero
This may be old news? But I thought I would pass on some thumb shifter info. No one on VATB had an answer.

I happened upon three brand new 7-speed LX Mountain Shifters without the clamps. Shimano part number: SL-M453R. They are 7-speed with the extra 8 space. I thought they would fit an XT or DX shifter clamp, but once received them I found that they have a smaller diameter. The 4 mounting pins have a diameter of 18mm. XT and DX have a mounting pin diameter of ~23mm. As luck would have it, I found an older set of 6-speed shifters MS41 on ebay and the seller measured the diameter, 18mm. I have them now and my Mountain LX fit the MS41s.

I have also traded another biker for a SL-MC 18 below the bar off-set left shifter mount that should work. I should receive it any day.

Anyone have any experience with this Mountain LX shifter re: durability?

Thunderchild
www.urmb.org

always found em to be good positive shifts, :idea: just as good as xt or dx in my opinion

Only ever had Exage Mountain (plasticy, with the smooth look top) or XT, so don't know I'm afraid :?

they had slotted mounts to fit the mountain lx brake levers. as far as i know that was the only way to use them (with the proper brake levers)

the levers were plastic, flexy & 'ok'

the shifters were slimmer than the deore/xt versions, flexed more in use, & the mounts were not as stiff. also 'ok'

mind you i loved mine, i had them on ridgeback, which was my first proper mtb :D

that was in 1989, the only year mountain lx existed. (i think..)

Thanks XEO. Was trying to place a year on them. I started mtbing in 1987 and could not remember seeing any LX mountain that looked alot like their big brothers, XT and DX. I do remember those LX units that had smooth plastic tops.

I will post a picture soon.

Thunderchild

Back