Fork crown race fitting?

daj

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
Another wet behind the ear question :oops:

I need to swap fork crown races on two forks ... I have studied my park tools manual and it suggests that I dont need a VERY expensive tool to remove it ( tap round with a hammer ) but doesnt not have any suggestions for installing them other than the pak tools special race setter ...

So is it a shop job? Or can it be done with tools and methods found in garage?

A tube of metal-preferably ally with a thickish wall; that fits closely over the steerer and a mallet is what you need; make sure the crown race is sitting square before "treatment" is applied ;)

I use an old headset spacer over the top of it, tap that with a screwdriver & hammer instead of your new shiny crown race.

I know that this is going to sound daft but I have used plastic waste pipe in the past, strong enough to get a race on assuming the fit isn't stupidly tight (in which case you should question whether you need to get a file out) but soft enough not to damage the race surface!

Or a block of wood/brass drift etc,anything which is softer than the race can be used to tap it on,keeping the race square and tapping it opposite sides should do the trick,just done the job tonight :D

You could also tryusing a old lower crown race and turn it upside down then tap with the hammer and screwdriver. It has worked for me in the past.

Back