Chain sticking to chainring?

Grannygrinder

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I have compact lx cranks on my Proflex. They are fitted with a Middleburn outer ring which shifts perfectly and the chain runs on it fine. And a new shimano middle ring which I bought of ebay. The Shimano ring is new but the chain picks up on the larger teeth at the end of the ramped section resulting in some scary chain slap. I'm assuming its the chain thats at fault, but its new so i'm assuming its the wrong spec. Any ideas?

Chain suck

I would say its a fair bet your chainline is wrong, so wrong BB width and or wrong type of Cranks too? Ur not using low profile cranks are you with an elbow in them-i.e modern?

Chain suck

I had the same problem with a Shimano middle ring! changed it for a Blackspire and altered the BB, problem solved. Presume its a steel one? if so dump it in the bin and buy a decent Aluminium one.

Its an aluminium one. I'm going to try a wider chain and if that does fix it i'm going to get the Dremmel out :twisted:

Re: Middle ring

Wold Ranger":2kw9ufh9 said:
its not a Shimano if its Aluminium-they never made one in Aluminium ever! Steel only.

:? Don't know where you got that from! LX upwards use alu rings, and have done for several years now.

There have been a few Shimano middle rings that have burrs on them. This is because most of them are stamped out and not machined. This sometimes causes sharp edges on some of the teeth. Just rotate the crank slowly and see which teeth are causing the problem then just get a small file and re-shape the teeth as necessary.

Shimano rings

Shimano do Aluminium outer and inner rings, but nearly always do Steel middles as this is the one that gets the hammer. Only XTR were Aluminium on a few models.
Whats the bottom bracket width/chainline like, as I mentioned earlier I have had this with Shimano middle rings, but not others, if you study the tooth profiles, they are a lot deeper than most others.

I must have had about 6 people come to me with this this year already. Seems like somewhere between the chain spec and the ring specs, something is getting lost in ftanslation. And they have ALL ben middleburn rings bought from CRC that seem to be giving the problem. But thats just what I've seen.
I gues chainline and stiff links are obvious, but if nothing has changed, then the chainline worked before, soething else is going on. Check the spacing of the rings is even, some rin/crank combos, even from shimano new, had, or were intended to have spacer washers. Check you're not running a 9sp chain on an 8sp ring or it can stick if unsympathetically shifted.

Fainiling that, I've never done so well with Ringlé chainsuck plates. To the RB crowd, black or blue, £14 posted uk, +£2 rest of world :)

Latest posts

Back