SE self energising brakes

kaiser

Gold Trader
PoTM Winner
MacRetro Rider
98+ BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
I 'won' a set of these on ebay recently, a set of canti's and a U brake, whats the deal they look pretty good and have heard to stoppings good, anything else? Its the pederson ones.

They're brilliant, but quite heavy and a *(£$U%*&$ to set up. Worth it when you hit the spot though.
A lot of tandems had these.

I guess you know how they work (each arm pivots on a coarse helix that uses the drag of the rim to increase the braking force).

I've never been a big fan. The positive feedback means that the harder they bite, the harder they bite, the harder they bite... that means they can be grabby, or in extreme cases, lock up. You're not supposed to use them on the front in most cases (because they can grab) and if you can't lock up the rear wheel with a normal canti, you're not trying.

I got me a set too, apparently they eat rims, so be careful!!!

Bloody nice brakes though...

Rich

Good stuff so far

This is them
8165_1.JPG

a216_1.JPG

chris667":krdq3oi1 said:
Are they for the KHS?

Nah, have XT stuff on the KHS. This was an impulsive ebay purchase, just need a bike to fit them too now :LOL:

I keep buying things I don't need for bikes I don't even own yet. :shock:
Will be spot on on any number of 1980s mountainbikes, though. They really are great when you hit the sweet spot.

chris667":32cmocdl said:
I keep buying things I don't need for bikes I don't even own yet. :shock:

:LOL: tell us about it

Will be spot on on any number of 1980s mountainbikes, though. They really are great when you hit the sweet spot.

Really like the look of the seatstays without the canti's, wee bit of the reason I'm thinking of swaping the Saracen. I've seen summat that would be ideal but just a bit $$$$ at the mo :roll:

1987-89 was a bit of a golden age for mountain bikes, IMO. I'm another big fan of the "clean" seat stays, I only got rid of my Fisher because it was too nice looking for its own good.
I like your taste in bikes, make sure you show us the new steed if you raise the money.

Latest posts

Back