Powdercoat or paint?

RobSpecail222

Dirt Disciple
Just a quick Q, there are 2 bike shop's that had quoted to re-paint my 1993 KONA one with powercoat and one with paint. Each saying their way is better.

PLZ help, who should i listen too?

i think that powder is a tougher finish, wet paint can be a better finish. my kona is powdered (see link in sig) and it looks shiney and tough but up close it isnt a perfectly smooth finish. normal paint can be made to look like glass with enough time and effort.

there are definately strong arguments for both types of paint.

paint gives you endless options for colour, powder can have a good range but check with your shop first; they likely only have certain colours available. Metal flecks in paint make for very "sun friendly" finishes.

powder, although tougher, will also add an extra pound to you final weight.

Like Lewis say's really... Powdercoat gives a very durable finish but if water gets underneath it can lead to rust issues. With Stove enamel you get a very good finish, the frame get's a protective undercoat but, durable it ain't.

The upside of this is you can keep getting a pimpy new paint job ;)

RobSpecail222":3pbo8ps5 said:
Just a quick Q, there are 2 bike shop's that had quoted to re-paint my 1993 KONA one with powercoat and one with paint. Each saying their way is better.
PLZ help, who should i listen too?
In general, liquid paint is more suitable for 'garage queens' (although I hate that term) and powder-coating is more suitable for bikes that will get used and abused a lot. Liquid paint is generally about twice as expensive as a powder coat. One factor to bear in mind in your case is that if you want to recreate the Kona's original two-colour fade, this would be much easier with liquid paint.

Either way, I'm not sure you're wise to go through a bike shop though. I think you would do better to go direct to the painters. You need to explain to the painter exactly what you want and judge from their reaction whether they have the right experience and will follow your instructions. e.g., some people will say 'yes sir' but not write down what you said, which isn't a promising sign. Local powder-coaters can do an excellent job, but I would only use one that has plenty of experience in painting bikes.

I have had my Cannondale both done wet paint and powder coated at the last 3 years, I prefer the powder coated option as it's cheaper and alot durable than wet paint. 3 years ago after getting the frame sprayed wet paint, I was tighten the seatpost clamp and dropped the allen key to bottom frame rear tube and chipped the paint which you can see the bare metal :? and when I stripped the parts off the frame ready for powder coated last year, I took the chain stay decal off and the paint came off with the decal :? It's pretty fragile.

If you are going to use the bike for off road riding, I would go for powder coated so you can relax and enjoy your riding, but if the bike is going to be used on tarmac or be a garage queen then go for wet paint type.

On the finish, I cant see much difference between wet paint and powder coated apart wet paint be more shinny looking close up but not that much, from a distance, you wouldnt be able to tell what paint finish it is.

I went the powder route on mine and am very happy with the results :D

My frame is satin so probably not to everyones taste but my forks are gloss black - Photos do not do them justice as IMO they are every bit as good as a gloss black wet paint. I think the finsh is down to the skill of the company doing the job as I have seen powder that does look like powder powder coat and not paint - if you get what I mean :LOL:

Powder coat can be hand flatted / polished as per a wet paint.

And yes, I am comparing them to an after market SE finish done by a well known frame builder / painter ;)

DSC03621.jpg

bagpipes":29obaxoh said:
powder, although tougher, will also add an extra pound to you final weight.

Is that a randomly generated number to get the point across or is that bordering on accurate?

Personally I'd powder if you're going to use it properly.

Is that a randomly generated number to get the point across or is that bordering on accurate?

I was wondering that :shock: I have heard it weighs more than normal paint - but that much! 450g on an average 2kg frame is quite a lot!

I have pinched this info of Windridge's website (thats who have done mine) :

Weight
There is negligible difference in weight between wet paint and powder coating.
If weight is an issue, avoid zinc enriched primer as an under coat. Zinc is about three times heavier per volume than paint.
We are now weighing frames when they are stripped and after they are powder coated. Average weights for soft tail frames so far are 130g, this includes swing arm.

WD :D

Latest posts

Back