Can you identify my Stumpjumper?

philippe

Retro Newbie
I just bought this Specialized Stumpjumper (I believe it's a Comp) and I was wondering if anyone could tell me what year it's from. What would you say the bike is worth on its own?

The bike came with an Xtracycle attachment for carrying groceries, people, and hopefully my massage table. It really turns this bike into a truck! I was intending to transfer the Xtracycle to my other bike and resell the Stumpjumper, but after doing some research it seems that this is a great classic bike, and I should probably keep it. What do you think? Should I be glad to own it? What makes the old Stumpjumpers so great?

Cheers!

Attachments

• _MG_0093.jpg
    _MG_0093.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 1,198
Ive never seen on of them before.... That looks great !! :cool:

What do they ride like?

philippe":1k745l88 said:
I just bought this Specialized Stumpjumper (I believe it's a Comp) and I was wondering if anyone could tell me what year it's from. What would you say the bike is worth on its own?
The bike came with an Xtracycle attachment for carrying groceries, people, and hopefully my massage table. It really turns this bike into a truck! I was intending to transfer the Xtracycle to my other bike and resell the Stumpjumper, but after doing some research it seems that this is a great classic bike, and I should probably keep it. What do you think? Should I be glad to own it? What makes the old Stumpjumpers so great?
There's a specific thread above for asking for valuations, but if you're attracted to the idea of keeping this and riding it, I would advise you to do so, as its eBay value isn't anything to get too excited about. Especially with its current equipment - the riser stem, the heavy-looking riser bars and probably the 36-spoke wheels are all non-standard items fitted specifically in support of the work-horse role that the bike has played, and would diminish its eBay price.

One of the reasons why Stumpjumpers are regarded as classic is that it was the first good series production mountain bike, but that was ten years earlier than this one. I would guess the seat tube decal will tell you what tubeset it is made of, but it's basically a near to the top of the range bike from one of the leading manufacturers, and it looks in quite good condition.

One of the arguments for keeping it is that, unlike most of your other assets, it won't be worth any less in a few years time than it is now. So why not keep it and see if you enjoy owning it?

Keep it, but put it back how it should be & have a blast riding it.
Extracycle's are great, but should be on a more utilitarian frame.

1991, That year the stumpy came in 3 version: white, the COMP, (yours), and the team which was dark blue with yellow graphics.
The 1992 lineup had a blue or yellow model, the COMP in pinkish red (Ihad one), and the team in light green to turquoise fade

Back