Bullseye Hub Bearing Service

hairstream

BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
Has anyone had experience removing, sourcing, and replacing bearings on a Bullseye Hub?

What's' the deal with ceramic replacement bearings for 90 US on the bay?

Thanks.

hairstream":394fw8ig said:
Has anyone had experience removing, sourcing, and replacing bearings on a Bullseye Hub?

What's' the deal with ceramic replacement bearings for 90 US on the bay?

Thanks.
pretty much the standard cartridge bearing drill. drive em out, press the new ones in. The 'distance tube on the bullys (rather than a shoulder on the spindle as per most, means you need to knock the tube aside, and drive out with a long punch. as you would with a motorcycle hub.
Ceramic bearings, keep seeing and wondering about these, so don't know what the crack is.
All I do now is they aren't using them on aeroplanes yet, so i'm holding fore for at least 30 years :)

If those ceramic ones go for 90 bucks they are say 20x more expensive than normal quality bearing. So you can have fresh bearing 20 times. Btw I once simply put extra, thick grease in mines. Also an improvement. Use a thin knife to remove seal. From the inside!

I bought a front hub/wheel combo off CL to finish off my next project. The hub is in good condition, but the bearings are hammered. The inner races are just kind of rattling around.

I was wanting to stay with standard high quality bearings, thought they would be standard size and I could just take one of the old ones to the bearing shop to have the size matched.

Pretty much the last piece of the puzzle for my new bike. Thanks for the help.

Cheers.

Got the bearings out of the hub. Took them to the bearing shop, they have the same size. On theirs, there are metal covers on both sides. The bearings that came out of the hubs had a "plastic" cover on one side. Does this make a difference? They want 12 US for each bearing. :?

For some kind the original bearing was always of mediocre quality in Bullseye hubs. In one of my hubs they say Made in China. Did China make great bearings in the eighties? :?

I think the rubber seal will be better in keeping moisture out. Also it enables servicing them easily.

I ordered replacements with the seals through a friend of mine that owns a machine shop. I got 8, total cost was less than 20 US. Sounded like a better deal. He says they are a standard size... 6001. One step closer.

Cheers.

Metal sides usually shielded, not sealed. Not ideal.

My experience of chinese bearings versus NSK/SKF etc is really not good. Prolly fine in a wheel though where will get trashed whatever goes in :LOL:

Back