Old Skool Set up's are best

losidan

Senior Retro Guru
I've been riding my daily rider for about 9 months now. I've never been too happy with the position though.

This week I dumped the riser bars for some flatties and bar ends. Weird but the riding position feels sooooo much better all round now. I always felt a little bit like I was shoving a shopping trolley and it was orrible out of the saddle.

Now it feels like I am actually riding the bike properly and I can really get my head down and give the bike some stick. Much much better out of the saddle too.

Top Bombing

I've never ridden a modern bike in anger :oops: :oops:
I keep thinking I'll have to get one and see if it's better than my Pace, but whatever I try doesn't feel right. Maybe it's the 'shopping trolley' effect.

Old school set ups are best for what old school set ups were designed for, but riser bars and high front ends generally are designed for something completely different.

The quickest thing to do is just to flip the stem - I remember when I first took an interest in mtb in the late 90s, the Cannondale ads all used to show the bikes with riser stems (20 deg?) flipped over to give a racey position. But if you saw one on the trail, it usually had its stem the right way up - result = bar position three inches higher and one inch shorter than the racey position = play bike. Though obviously you only get such a big difference as that with a riser stem.

Back