Anyone cycle with their dog?

OldSchoolGirly

Old School Hero
Feedback
View
I thought this would be a great way of increasing my CV exercise and also my dogs, however I think I've misjudged it somewhat as it seems that a good pace for him is actually really quite slow on a bike.

Does anyone else take their mutts out with them? Similar findings or am I doing something wrong? Maybe I need to do more uphill stuff...

What sort of dog have you got? Mine's got little legs so pace is about right!

Attachments

• Image020aa.jpg
    Image020aa.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 1,518
I don't, but i know from watching Cesar Milan ;) that dogs like to trot, i think it's about 6-10mph depending on dog size. I think a fast human walk is 3.5mph.

Yeah I have him at a good trot but it doesn't even raise my heart rate :(

I've started jogging too, and that seems to be a bit slow.

He's pretty big...

Attachments

• stig tree small.jpg
    stig tree small.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 1,503
Ridgeback?

Had two whilst growing up, fantastic dogs, totally loyal, fantastic around kids but big and loud enough to make suitable guard dogs.

The first one used to run along beside my father on a bike, the second one really thought running was below her station, she was keen on chasing squirrels too though :)

Stick him in a trailer and tow him behind your bike! He'll like that and it's good training for you!!!

OldSchoolGirly":1a3f2z0f said:
Yeah I have him at a good trot but it doesn't even raise my heart rate :(

Stay in 1st gear, that'll get your heart rate going!

JeRkY":1idpdjj4 said:
Ridgeback?

Had two whilst growing up, fantastic dogs, totally loyal, fantastic around kids but big and loud enough to make suitable guard dogs.

The first one used to run along beside my father on a bike, the second one really thought running was below her station, she was keen on chasing squirrels too though :)

Indeed, he is brilliant. That doesn't suprise me about the girl, I hear they are a different kettle of fish altogether... and you're right, he's chasing squirrels, very brave. He only chases things smaller than his head. Big wuss.

It took me 5 minutes to teach him what I wanted him to do when out with me on the bike but I need more exercise haha

Latest posts

Back